Where to source 4x4 leaf springs?

Hello, from what i’ve seen on this forum there is a TON of very helpful information on the differences between 2wd and 4wd leafs. 

The driver side leaf on my ‘85 KC 4x4 has a lateral break in one of the leaves, causing a weird sideways sag. The only leaves I can find online don’t list spring-rates, and say they “fit 2wd AND 4wd models”, which may be true, but I am trying to keep the stock ride height and clearly a 2wd leaf would lower my rear end.

As far as sourcing a set of new leaves online, am I SOL? Is the wrecker my only hope?? My nearest wreck yard is over 2 hours away and never seems to have our trucks. Are there other OEM options that are interchangeable? I’ve been trying to replace these leaves for a few months, and i’m going crosseyed trying to figure out what to buy.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They will fit but there are two different spring rates or stiffnesses, and arch or curve. 4x4 springs are 'flatter' but stiffer than 2wd springs. 

The broken spring... is it the top one or lower down in the pack?

I see RockAuto lists rear springs for '85 720 4WD (Dayton #69115).

I found a local spring shop that actually had the springs I needed in stock for my 620. A decent spring shop can always make a set if thay have the specs.

3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

They will fit but there are two different spring rates or stiffnesses, and arch or curve. 4x4 springs are 'flatter' but stiffer than 2wd springs. 

The broken spring... is it the top one or lower down in the pack?

it’s sandwiched between the leafs luckily, but still causes this sag 

5 minutes ago, HomelessLemon said:

Where do you see that these are listed to fit an ‘85 720 4WD? 

NVM, I found out, I assume these are single springs or are they sold as a pair? The listing doesn’t make it clear 

I was looking about for spring specs, as with those a competent local shop could build you a set, but struck out on my search. SDTruckSprings used to provide those specs but I see they are no longer in business.

I suspect the springs for the D21 and 720 4x4 may be the same, see if RockAuto shows the same part number. FWIW, when I compared specs 620 & 720 rear springs, they were exactly the same except the pin was 1/16" different position - now that is minor!

Pricing will be for the pair.

59 minutes ago, EDM620 said:

I was looking about for spring specs, as with those a competent local shop could build you a set, but struck out on my search. SDTruckSprings used to provide those specs but I see they are no longer in business.

I suspect the springs for the D21 and 720 4x4 may be the same, see if RockAuto shows the same part number. FWIW, when I compared specs 620 & 720 rear springs, they were exactly the same except the pin was 1/16" different position - now that is minor!

Pricing will be for the pair.

Thank you! I may go with the set you’ve recommended from RockAuto as they seem the closest in description to an OEM replacement that i can find anywhere.

I would go to a spring shop and have them make 2 springs the size you need, then I would replace both the springs on both sides(same leaf on both sides, broken one and good one on other side).

Another option would be to find a truck with leaf's that are close to the same thickness and width in a wrecking yard, and grab the leaf's that are closest to what yours are, again on both sides.

I had a broken leaf somewhere in the middle on my frontier last year. I went to a spring shop and had them make/replace just the broken one. Works fine and I can’t tell the difference. Try a local spring shop. 
-Pidge