Oil pressure switch OD thread size?

I'm adding a mechanical oil pressure gauge to my '72 521 because I don't like the idiot light.  Its a Bosch mechanical oil pressure  gauge kit and I believe the pipe fitting going into the block is 1/8 inch?  It will screw in about a single thread then any further feels close to stripping.  I was thinking the engine is metric or bsp and this gauge kit came with standard threaded fittings.  

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can actual tap it for 1/8 npt which is what most after market gauges are....

Just get a 1/8 npt tap... 

Put grease on it to catch the chips and go slow... back it out often and clean off the chips... use the oil gauge or sender as a gauge to how much to thread....

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 2

Finally!!!

British Standard Pipe Taper. From the early days of Nissan on the North American continent in the mid '50s. Nissan paired with Austin of Great Britain making British cars and copied everything including the oil pressure pipe threads. Somehow that remained through till the '00s at least and maybe they are still used today.

2 hours ago, mainer311 said:

It’s 1/8 bspt, not 1/4.

Buy this. Put original sender in end, and new sender on the side port. Then you get both an idiot light, and a gauge reading.

https://a.co/d/5y35LRZ

Thanks... fixed my idiot light.... don't know what I was thinking... he clearly said 1/8.... I knew 1/8 and typed 1/4... multiple times..... sorry oillicker been a long day....

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Haha 1

yeah my bad, what was i thinking

Love that color 521.

If you motor is not a oil burner I would not worry about it. As most people have the cheap ass oil lines then they crack and youll be stranede with a bad motor when the oil line cracks. 

Buy a good  braided line. or a t least a Autometer oil line

a good future investment would be a hi output oil pump instead of the mechancal oil pump gauge and line. In my opinion.(but youll have to time motor then drop the pump. install correctly) if not a motor guy then dont do it

If you have a oil burner a mech gauge is cool so you can see when you go around a corner the pressure will drop and you know your low on oil.

First time I fired up my 521 I was treated to a laser beam of oil shooting out of the cracked plastic line all over my driveway. Of course I replaced it with the same type of line but…that’s because the sender I got from autozone was the wrong thread. Maybe you’ve got me rethinking it.

• 4 weeks later...