Please help ASAP!

Long story short, I am back in the NW working for a while. I needed a car to get around and found a beat up 84' 720rwd for cheap, slapped a weber on her and she runs like a top! However there is previous owner wiring insanity. I doubt this is related but when I swapped out the stock carb for the weber, the gauges & flashers stopped working! the only thing I did was unplug the old carb choke wiring. I checked the circuit fuse and it was blown, swapped it out and it blew again but worked for a couple seconds... did a check with a slightly bigger fuse and it still blew but my gauges and flashers worked for a few seconds. My main concern is the flashers as I am working in downtown Seattle. the emergency flash switch works and is not the problem(very familiar with that one) I am far away from home and don't have many tools or any of my FSM with me unfortunately. I have been checking around the truck for obvious shorts or electrical craziness from the previous owner without any luck. I head to work tomorrow at 6 am so I only have a few hours to hopefully fix it. I really don't think I have the right tools to get into the gauge cluster which is probably where the short is also. Any ideas are awesome!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Logical1 said:

Long story short, I am back in the NW working for a while. I needed a car to get around and found a beat up 84' 720rwd for cheap, slapped a weber on her and she runs like a top! However there is previous owner wiring insanity. I doubt this is related but when I swapped out the stock carb for the weber, the gauges & flashers stopped working! the only thing I did was unplug the old carb choke wiring. I checked the circuit fuse and it was blown, swapped it out and it blew again but worked for a couple seconds... did a check with a slightly bigger fuse and it still blew but my gauges and flashers worked for a few seconds. My main concern is the flashers as I am working in downtown Seattle. the emergency flash switch works and is not the problem(very familiar with that one) I am far away from home and don't have many tools or any of my FSM with me unfortunately. I have been checking around the truck for obvious shorts or electrical craziness from the previous owner without any luck. I head to work tomorrow at 6 am so I only have a few hours to hopefully fix it. I really don't think I have the right tools to get into the gauge cluster which is probably where the short is also. Any ideas are awesome!

A little late for help but obviously a short somewhere. Is there a self installed trailer wiring harness in there? Good place to look for shorts from a crappy job or a physical load put on the wiring harness. Look for some chafing points. I know you know your way around a vom. Adding larger fuses is a good way to let the smoke out from somewhere you don't want it getting out.

Arlington Pick and Pull has a 1980 720 right now.  Maybe you can snag some wiring out of it.  Still has the 5 speed too! 

• Like 1
On 3/19/2024 at 11:58 AM, Icehouse said:

Arlington Pick and Pull has a 1980 720 right now.  Maybe you can snag some wiring out of it.  Still has the 5 speed too! 

I looked up the price on transmissions there after you mentioned the Z in Lynwood, wholly crap lol.