Longest trip in your Datsun? How'd it go?

Wondering what people's longest trip has been and how it went?

Longest trip I've taken is 40 miles round trip. Which is pretty much just the other side of town. I still haven't gotten it on the highway. At some point I might consider taking a longer trip (400 miles round trip). 

Being that almost zero parts are readily available anymore. Do you travel with spare parts? What spare parts do you carry? Also with the speed limit being 75-80 on most highways, you must be white knuckeling and ass clenching it the whole way. My truck's pedal to the floor max speed is 70. So it's happiest at like 60.

Edited by IZRL
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2,800 miles from VI to southern Ontario and then back. Did this at least a half dozen times in the early 2000s in my '78 620. On one trip my gas tank imploded from a non venting gas cap throwing the gas gauge off otherwise uneventful. Over 3,000 kilometers (close to 2,000 miles) from home to Canby and back home through Calgary in my 710.  Three times at least. Uneventful.                                                                                                   

• Like 3

About 1000 miles when I first bought my 521 and drove it from Seaside, OR to Santa Barbara, CA.  Lost a lash pad and thought the engine sounded like it was going to die. Lights quit working because of the crappy glass fuse block.  Fuel filler hose was disintegrating and dropping small chunks into the tank causing the filter to clog and cut fuel to engine. Barely made it to an auto parts store for a new filter, changed it in the rain. Back was killing me so I drove most of the way with a 32oz nalgene bottle behind the small of my back

• Like 3

Used to do 100 miles a day on my B210 for years on end. Longest trips were 600 miles one way camp a weekend and 600 miles back. Commonly some small thing would have an issue but always very fixable (fuses, windshield wiper blades, weird noises, etc...). I also tend to carry a stupid number of spare parts though, pared it down over the years to an alt, coil, coil wires and spark plugs, couple of spare belts, some misc. wire, tape and fluids and whatever other random junk is in the trunk. I have at times carried a whole spare head and gasket seat and all the tools needed to change it. I throw the stuff that is still functional but changed with routine maintenance in the trunk (i.e. used caps, plugs, wires, belts etc... good enough to get home but not run full time).

But I'm also a bit paranoid and like being overprepared as that makes me more relaxed.

Biggest help of course is a AAA card with free 200 mile tow as then I don't worry about it as much anymore. 

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

But I'm also a bit paranoid and like being overprepared as that makes me more relaxed.

Same here. I carry so many tools in my honda sedan that I could almost do an engine swap on the side of the road. All I'm missing is a cherry picker. I even carry one of those WWII military foldable shovels. I've gotten that car stuck in the sand multiple times and that shovel has gotten me out. My friends crack up when they look in my trunk. But then they're like "uuummmm i broke down, can you bring your tools?"

When I take a trip. I'll definitely be traveling with an assortment of spare parts and tools. 

Edited by IZRL
  • Like 1

Great Fallls Montana to San Bernadino Ca. Averaged 30 plus MPH. Retuned the engine when I dropped below 3000 feet altitude, On arriving in San Bernadino, I took my Rl411 to a local garage to remove the external tank heater.  The mechanic said that he had never seen one.  I had arrived in the right place!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MikeRL411 said:

Great Fallls Montana to San Bernadino Ca. Averaged 30 plus MPH. Retuned the engine when I dropped below 3000 feet altitude, On arriving in San Bernadino, I took my Rl411 to a local garage to remove the external tank heater.  The mechanic said that he had never seen one.  I had arrived in the right place!

An RL411 or an external tank heater?

I made several trips from West Palm beach to Seattle and back to Florida. About 6 trips from west coast Florida to The Columbia river gorge. One trip from Vallejo to Punta San Carlos baha Mexico and back. My balls were bigger then. Fuel filters are a must on the spares list along with belts and a decent selection of tools. Honestly if I were to do it today, I would if the parts were unknown millage  would slap in a Japanese water pump, a new not rebuilt alternator and fresh cap, rotor, ignition wires, hoses (all) coolant, vacuum ect, not cheap but cheaper than dealing with on the side of the road. Oh and V belts I go big and by load rated belts. Not automotive fan belts. These belts are rated for heavy loads such as lawn equipment and are much stronger and longer lasting than fan belts. My AAA gold card helps although I have only used it once on the datsun in 36 years. My other junk? Well it has come in handy.

• Like 1