i bent a connecting rod lol

EDIT: NOT BENT ROD. BLOWN RING.

my 81 datsun 210 (pb310) a15 with 166,756 miles and toasted rings conked out last night and almost put a rod through the block, help me i need to know where i can source parts or a rebuild kit. 😀

IMG_1322.jpeg

Edited by nathan.is.an.idiot12312
udpate
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

yeah she still runs and i know my shit dickheads i always make sure she has oil and coolant and at the time her fluid levels were right where they should be, the only thing that was defect with the engine is that i had a lot of piston ring blowby

Edited by nathan.is.an.idiot12312

If not apart you can't know what's wrong. If making a loud hammering sound a rod bearing is toast but the rod is still probably ok but the crankshaft is most likely toast. There may be enough rod clearance that the piston starts hammering the bottom of the head. If hammering and squealing, the bearing has welded to the crankshaft is spinning in and trying to weld to the rod and moments away from locking up.  If going slow enough the engine just stops. If driving fast the rod and crankshaft weld together, the rod snaps off and punches a hole in the block and/or oil pan. Sometimes at the piston, throwing those pieces into the valves.

NEVER over heat an engine. If lucky all that happens is the head warps and you blow the head gasket. Keep driving, the rings expand, close the gap and break themselves and the piston, score the cylinder.

ALWAYS keep full of water and oil and nothing will go wrong. 

3 minutes ago, ShutterMeShort said:

So why are you on here asking questions? 

because i dont know any reliable sources for parts i obviously asked this in the beggining of the post. and i dont know everything but i know enough. 

i didnt come to these forums for your negative feedback so shut the hell up or help me out. your choice.

2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

You mean hydro lock? because that can bend a rod. Oil getting into the cylinder will just cause smoke otherwise. None of your rods are bent

im saying this because i know oil has a much higher ignition point than gas and the engine wasnt all the way hot when it happened

Nathan, If it is a rod and you have been having blow by problems you want to have a machine shop either bore or hone the block.  They all have access to top of the line rods, pistons, bearings  and rings.  Check with a good machine shop for pricing.  A piston slap can sound like  loose rod too!  When I got my chysler straight 8 disassembled we thought the pistons were swapping holes they were so loose.

• Like 1