Already done KA24E swap vs doing a KA24DE swap.

Samk.pnw

Hey all! 

Currently I have an '85 720 with a z24 out if an '86. I am a relatively new "mechanic", but I have people helping me that know what they're doing. I'm looking at ka24de/e swapping my truck, and currently my options are buying a ka24de + trans + wiring harness + ecu from a '00 frontier,

OR

buying a Ka24E that was already swapped into a '82 720, the truck is on its way to getting scrapped or parted out, however the engine still runs, it was recently fully rebuilt, and has a 240sx intake manifold, and ecu, as well as new main and rod bearings, polished/balanced crank, new pistons + rings, valve guides, valve angle cut, new springs and fully resealed. also comes with a walbro 270lph fuel pump, and a locally remanufactured alt and starter. (less than 5,000kms since rebuild)

The engine + trans is at 1400 cad, and the engine that's already swapped I can get for 1600, or the entire truck for 2,000 (means I can get spare parts, where applicable.)

I know the ka24e is a worse engine, but it should still have relatively similar durability, and for not a ton extra would also mean a lot less work (already having engine mounts + oil pan adaptation.) The wiring isn't beautiful, but I was already expecting and planning to fully redo harness anywho. 

Just was wondering about personal experiences, and what might be more worth for this. 

Let me know, I really appreciate all the help in advance. 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Samk.pnw said:

The truck (with the ka24e) runs- not sure if it's drivable at the moment

Buy the truck. The difference in engines is not that great really and there is always way more miscellaneous stuff to a swap you don't know about until you get into it.

• Like 3

KA-E swapped already? It may still have the 720 transmission as it's an easier swap not needing the driveshaft to be shortened (if from a 240sx) or lengthened if from a D21. A KA transmission would be much stronger. Something to look into.

The remains...

There's not much the same between an '82 and an '85, big changes in '83. Front brakes and suspension, dash + wiring, totally different, doors and front fenders are the same and hood will swap. Box can be swapped but doesn't match. In the '82 the 5 speed was optional so may have a 4 speed still. Something to look into.

I would get the newer Frontier KA-DE.

• Like 1