Rims...post what you have & had

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As you know Steve, I came up on these.

I hope I can take them apart to refinish them.

If not, I can still do it but powder coating will be harder to do.

15X8 Longchamp XRX Mesh

ts_auto-img600x450-1402323048nhj8av12962

cd695911-720f-40c4-b006-501b9da43d3c_zps

th_2c0ccd76-3df6-4b73-a14e-56387b2972b6_

They look to be in pretty good condition already, you would probs get away with just giving them a light polish with Autosol / purple / any US equivalent . They dont appear to need to be re-painted / powder coated either? from the 2nd photo the centres look in veryyy good condition. Unless youre wanting a colour change?

As for the centres being removable, going from the last photo my guess is that they are not. Might be wrong buy normally if the centre come out the bold would be through them holding them in place. 

• Like 1

They look to be in pretty good condition already, you would probs get away with just giving them a light polish with Autosol / purple / any US equivalent . They dont appear to need to be re-painted / powder coated either? from the 2nd photo the centres look in veryyy good condition. Unless youre wanting a colour change?

As for the centres being removable, going from the last photo my guess is that they are not. Might be wrong buy normally if the centre come out the bold would be through them holding them in place. 

I think you are right. I will have to wait till I get them to see what condition they are truly in. 

And the bolts do go all the way through them with a nut on them. 

I think you are right. I will have to wait till I get them to see what condition they are truly in. 

And the bolts do go all the way through them with a nut on them. 

Yeah that's it, i've bought some wheels thinking they were in shit condition and turned out to be very good, but have also bought some I thought were very good and turned out to need a lot of work.

With the bolts i mean they dont go through the actual center, like the wheels are 3 piece like most SSRs but like Mk2, Mk3, star sharks ect ect the barrels and centers are welded in place and the bolts are just for extra security. But SSR meshies have 20 bolts that hold the center and the 2 barrels together, meaning when they un-done the centers can be taken out, but the barrels are still welded together. I have no idea if this makes any sense hahaha but going by the photos my guess is the centers are welded in. 

Where did you get your hardware? I assume they are M8x32? I am looking at getting black chrome but the cost is going to be over $300, but I get 200 bolts chromed for that price.

Theyre m8x30 and from a eBay seller based In Brisbane QLD, so local for me, theyre nothing special just plain black but they were a hell of a lot cheaper then $300!

The problem with "plain black" is that it will be plain orange in two months, even here in phoenix arizona. I need bolts with plating to protect them from rust.

They should hold up to oxidation, they're identical to the original bolts only 2mm longer as I couldn't source 28mm long bolts for a reasonable price. My original bolts which lived in Japan for 28 years (we know how things love to rust in Japan ahha) were almost fine just a little faded and had a small amount of rust build up on the lower part of the thread where the nuts had stripped them.

Also im considering ordering some plain stainless ones (or fully stripping my old ones and re-using them) and powder coating them when my Powder coating system arrives.

Latest wheel purchase-

b3hiroshi-img600x450-1309546627dtttgf656

b3hiroshi-img600x450-13095466274ec5ow656

b3hiroshi-img600x450-1309546627bwvhkj656

Welll... kinda... 

Theyre Aoshima 1/6 scale wheels. Bought 2 full sets. From what I can find they were made in 1981. Pretty stoked I found 2 full sets unopened in very good condition!

The wheels in them are-

-Riverside R104 
 -Equip Excel 5 
 -Hayashi Racing Bomber
 -Focus spoke 
 -Hoshino Impul professional mesh 
 -Southern grid Way II 
 -ADVAN A3A 
 -Speed ​​Star Star Formula mesh

Plan is to make one set up and keep the other in their boxes haha
  • Like 4

Haha these are awesome! Such great styles! Much fun to assemble I bet!

haha yeah bit devod they picked 2 mesh styled wheels to make over some of the many other amazing designs from the same era. Would of loved some Star Sharks or techno phantoms!  

I should get then within the next week so pretty keen to make them up haha

Just scored these!!

RacingHart_zps4f7bb01c.jpg

RacingHart-Specs_zpsefb08abc.jpg

Racinghart-Rear_zps0b6eadab.jpg

NEW OLD STOCK Takechi project racing harts! 

So stocked! Although im not a MASSIVE fan of aero styled wheels I couldn't pass these ones up, not only are they a really rare design but are also new old stock. Question is can I find a matching pair now for a reasonable price hahah

• Like 2

They should hold up to oxidation, they're identical to the original bolts only 2mm longer as I couldn't source 28mm long bolts for a reasonable price. My original bolts which lived in Japan for 28 years (we know how things love to rust in Japan ahha) were almost fine just a little faded and had a small amount of rust build up on the lower part of the thread where the nuts had stripped them.

Also im considering ordering some plain stainless ones (or fully stripping my old ones and re-using them) and powder coating them when my Powder coating system arrives.

Latest wheel purchase-

b3hiroshi-img600x450-1309546627dtttgf656

b3hiroshi-img600x450-13095466274ec5ow656

b3hiroshi-img600x450-1309546627bwvhkj656

Welll... kinda... 

Theyre Aoshima 1/6 scale wheels. Bought 2 full sets. From what I can find they were made in 1981. Pretty stoked I found 2 full sets unopened in very good condition!

The wheels in them are-

-Riverside R104 
 -Equip Excel 5 
 -Hayashi Racing Bomber
 -Focus spoke 
 -Hoshino Impul professional mesh 
 -Southern grid Way II 
 -ADVAN A3A 
 -Speed ​​Star Star Formula mesh

Plan is to make one set up and keep the other in their boxes haha

Where do you get these? 

I want a couple sets! Do they make tires for them? 

Just scored these!!

RacingHart_zps4f7bb01c.jpg

NEW OLD STOCK Takechi project racing harts! 

So stocked! Although im not a MASSIVE fan of aero styled wheels I couldn't pass these ones up, not only are they a really rare design but are also new old stock. Question is can I find a matching pair now for a reasonable price hahah

Nice. Kinda of thin but still rad. Will be hard to get some that can be refinished to compliment these but your patient, you'll find them. 

Nice. Kinda of thin but still rad. Will be hard to get some that can be refinished to compliment these but your patient, you'll find them. 

I can get wider wheels easily and just fit the caps to them, but I kinda like the idea of a whole NOS pair haha, but yeah dont see the caps pop up very often, see volk, and techno racing a bit more, but im sure ill find a matching pair eventually =)

Where do you get these? 

I want a couple sets! Do they make tires for them? 

Got them off Yahoo, no more full sets on there atm, but is a few singles, there is also 3 or 4 on ebay, if you search Aoshima 1/6 they should come up, they're 27$ plus post from Japan tho :S

If that is plain hardened black they will rust, no question. I have been building motorcycles for ten years, everything is as exposed on a bike as a wheel is. And I have ruined enough parts with rust stains from plain old black bolts (usually found this when replacing the bolt because of externa,l visible, ugly, rust)

I cant speak for the bolts you have though, I dont know their coating, they could be coated with a protective.

But I wouldnt dare putting the "plain bolts" available to me here, on any set of wheels in Phoenix AZ, and we have the lowest humidity in the whole country. Orange in one month, guaranteed, seen it, done it, been there, not goin there again.

The bolts im getting are plain black, costs $20 for 100 of them.

Black chrome plating them will cost me $300, and that is the ONLY option, since literally nobody makes wheel specific M8 hardware in black chrome. And no non-specific hardware has the right size bolt head except these.

Got them off Yahoo, no more full sets on there atm, but is a few singles, there is also 3 or 4 on ebay, if you search Aoshima 1/6 they should come up, they're 27$ plus post from Japan tho :S

Do they have tires for them? What Diameter are the wheels themselves?

I have a few ideas to use them for something

Do they have tires for them? What Diameter are the wheels themselves?

I have a few ideas to use them for something

Don't think they have tires with them, but im sure 1/6 scale tires could be found somewhere? and no idea, Should get them in a week or so, so can measure them up then if you like. 

Where did you get your hardware? I assume they are M8x32? I am looking at getting black chrome but the cost is going to be over $300, but I get 200 bolts chromed for that price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160x-Black-Chrome-Split-Rim-Bolts-M7-x-32mm-BBS-RS-OZ-12-9-High-Tensile-Steel-/181441115656?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item2a3ebbb608

These are in UK, but seller looks willing to ship...

• Like 1

So I ended up swapping the pair 13x7 Mk2s for a set of 14x7 and 14x7.5+6 Mk2s (havn't worked out offset on the 7s)

They aren't in the best condition, with some heavy pitting on one of the 7s and one dent in one of the 7.5s but will clean up pretty good. 

2014-06-27095907_zps325d2001.jpg

2014-06-27095910_zps259066d2.jpg

2014-06-27095913_zpsb2c2d375.jpg

2014-06-27095916_zpsca991404.jpg

2014-06-27095928_zpsb02f8ced.jpg

2014-06-27095930_zps2a2d3a70.jpg

2014-06-27095936_zpsb19ee063.jpg

2014-06-27123117_zps53650643.jpg

These also arrived today-

2014-06-30134201_zps9ef89ec7.jpg

2014-06-30134312_zps511d60be.jpg

2014-06-30134550_zps75c36478.jpg

2014-06-30134553_zpsa93fceb0.jpg

2014-06-30134600_zps62675e24.jpg

Pretty happy with the condition! No buckles and very minimal rash! Should look mint once I refinish them =)

Dunno If I want to go black again or go red or gold... hmmmm will deicide once I finish the meshies and the mk2s.

• Like 1

So I ended up swapping the pair 13x7 Mk2s for a set of 14x7 and 14x7.5+6 Mk2s (havn't worked out offset on the 7s)

They aren't in the best condition, with some heavy pitting on one of the 7s and one dent in one of the 7.5s but will clean up pretty good. 

2014-06-27095907_zps325d2001.jpg

So you traded a pair for a set? 

Who would do that? Hahaha 

Works out for you tho! 

So you traded a pair for a set? 

Who would do that? Hahaha 

Works out for you tho! 

Yeah I was pretty stoked, i guess my pair was almost immaculate while these are prettttty bad! like the 7s look like they might have been sandblasted or something which was put some fairly deep pits in them that cant be fixed without filling them with welds, You cant really notice until you're within a meter of them, but in saying that the 7.5s only have 2 dents on one wheel, one is tiny and the other still wont effect a tire beading so the 7.5s alone are worth more then my 13s haha 

But in the end he was happy as he wanted 13s and I was happy to score a set haha