A real head ache

smokin joe

On 12/25/2023 at 9:31 AM, datzenmike said:

image.thumb.jpeg.2a7e0287f2025b959fb5ed5f3b151561.jpeg

This was a picture of smoking Joe's mystery head....

This picture to me looks like the edge is a full radius.... both heads I have radius down to a flat edge like the comparison picture Mike posted... 

This is why I thought it was possibly milles....

On 12/25/2023 at 9:31 AM, datzenmike said:

yp5uytu.jpg

It seems evey idea just brings more questions..... 

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, smokin joe said:

I checked the head and I dont think its been milled. It shows around 4.3. There are bosses on the drivers side that are stamped. Front one says A D and the back one is an F. Dont know what that indicates if anything

If one mold was used they could never make enough in a month to supply one day of production so dozens of molds are used. The letters are for IDing which mold was used in case there are a problem later. Molds also often have revisions too.

I took some other pictures, but my computer is going through a midlife crisis when it comes to sending pictures. Gonna have to take it in. I cleaned the head

up on the sparkplug side  from front to back. IIts smooth all the way down from one end to the other where it bolts to the block. It only has those stamps on the drivers side that you can see from the top looking down. A D on the front  and F on the back. Could be something I'm missing, but would have take off the intake and exhaust manifolds to see all of the drivers side. 

Take it in??? It's a running engine, just leave it. Anywhere you take it will know less about it than you do.

Before the head can come off the timing chain tensioner needs to be secured so it doesn't pop out inside the timing cover. You can easily do this yourself with some questions asked here. Taking the head off will tell you two things...

The intake and exhaust valve sizes. These can be compared to W58, U67 and A87 heads and also the V912. 

The combustion chamber will obviously be either open or closed chamber. A closed chamber head would be an import and they are desirable. Compression is increased and with flattop pistons there is beneficial turbulence and swirl.

Absolute guess with no clue if it even works.  Could this be a L14 head?  I cannot seem to find a number that would id the head as a L14 head.

edit:  Just blew up a pic of what is supposed to be a jdm L14 on ebay.  The head on it has some id stamped in the normal place

Edited by bilzbobaggins

The L16 used in the PL510 and PL 521 all used the 210 head. I've heard it opined that the 210 was designed for the original L13 and L14 engines and as it was all that was around it was adopted for use on the later and larger L16. By all measurements it's a little small for the L16.

I would bet good money that it's a 210 or they may be blank. Trouble is the combustion chambers are very small and the L20B compression would be 9.3. I did put a 210 head on my L20B in my 521 truck while the head was being milled and it ran just fine. This was mid '70 and the gas was better.

I know someone that has an early Canadian 510 and it had an L14 from the factory I believe. I'm waiting for a reply.

Sorry, When I said I was going to 'take it in" I meant my POS computer that wont let me send pictures right now. I know for sure that my guys at the machine shop or anyone else I know aren't going to give better info that I get from you guys. I cant pull the head right now, but do you think a compression test would reveal any clues?

compression test might find something.

Usually I just check the lash on my rockers and when the cam lobe it pointing up the rocker should wiggle a bit meaning that the valve is closed. If tight it will leak, cylinder will not fire.  compression test if rockers are OK then could be cracked valve or lifted valve seat.

Older L16s the seats will sink and youll loose a cylinder running on 3 cylinders. Most time the lashpad just pops out.

a l16 head would be obvious as it has small intake ports like 1.125

if running just check the cam timing

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
2 hours ago, bilzbobaggins said:

Absolute guess with no clue if it even works.  Could this be a L14 head?  I cannot seem to find a number that would id the head as a L14 head.

edit:  Just blew up a pic of what is supposed to be a jdm L14 on ebay.  The head on it has some id stamped in the normal place

I'm pretty sure the L14 used a 210 cylinder head.