• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Datsunworks said:

Hi 

I did some searching but kind of came up empty. My 79 KC has provisions on the steering column for a steering lock key switch. Was this an option on the 79? Any idea if one from another model will fit?

Thanks

Derek

My '78 also had a slot in the column for the lock device to engage but the ignition switch didn't have it.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

On second thought, why not try one from a 720?

I was thinking that as well. I did find an Ebay listing for this

1972-1979 DATSUN 620 UTE PICKUP UTILITY TRUCK IGNITION SWITCH LOCK KEY FIT

On the last picture they have a caliper showing a measurement that appears to be highly accurate 🙂 

The column is out of something that used a lock since the hole is in the tube and the shaft has the slot for the pin. 

I put a Club on all my Datsuns plus a hidden kill switch.   The Club is so the thief's maybe take the hint and live my rig alone.  They tried to steal my daughter’s Subaru.  Got it started but couldn’t get the Club off. Of coarse they left it running all night….. 

2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Just take a hack saw with you and cut the steering wheel to get the club off.

My thoughts as well. Although a determined thief will find a way. I'm looking at the steering lock as the least inconvenient way to get some added protection. That and the manual transmission should cover about 90 percent of the thieves who hotwire.

A kill switch is not a bad idea either.

I’m not sure how many theifs haul a hack saw in their back pack.  Apparently not the one that attempted to steel my kids car.  They did bust the steering lock and had that all sorted.  They tried to drive it with the door open!  Haha.   It was crooked in the parking spot.  

Professionals aren't going to steal a POS Datsun so for kids looking for a lark it's a screwdriver to twist out the lock and the ignition and lets party. Just don't make it easy for them. If carrying a hacksaw then you know in advance that the car you want has a club. So definitely have an ignition and/or starter cut out. If they can't get it going in 60 seconds they move on.  

On many of my classic vehicles, I have battery kill switches. Some are hidden (under the dash or seat), but most are easily accessible. It's a simple deterrent that most theives wouldn't even understand. Kinda like the millennial theft device known as a clutch.

So I measured the tube and it's 38.25 mm which is 1.506".  The one on eBay that I linked to is showing 1.485. I found a listing for a 720 that showed a measurement of 30.84mm so that's right out. So it's either a club or take a chance on a lock from Thailand actually fitting.

I'll update the thread if I end up going that direction.

• Like 1
On 11/26/2023 at 9:46 PM, Icehouse said:

I’m not sure how many theifs haul a hack saw in their back pack.

There are too many cordless angle grinders out there being used to steal cat converters - a quick cut through a steering wheel is nothing.

On 11/27/2023 at 8:27 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Kinda like the millennial theft device known as a clutch.

Anything you can do to make it a PITA and a lazy thief will quickly move on. Hidden kill switches are a good deterrent too. Skid mark shorts and a dirty sock on the gearshift - hell that'd keep me from wanting to drive my own wheels!

• Like 1