andyZ00m

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

In a pinch, you can use a pair of dykes to snip off the tubes, then use some large pliers to fold the tubes over to close them off. It also allows you to then get a 6-sided socket over them vs a crappy open end wrench.

Your exhaust manifold looks a little different than when I did mine. I can’t really tell. Maybe the M14 plugs won’t work? Measure the OD of the plug threads once one comes out.

V2LTvu1.jpg

PywmS0r.jpg

Dude youre so smart. The crimping worked great! This will work for me until I do the new Weber. When I take the old carb off I will have much better access to fully remove these fuckers.

1ZHio0j.jpg

31X94KE.jpg

I was able to easily remove the inlet to the intake and the inlet to the carburetor. Will grab some caps for those today as well as tubing to replace the ancient fuel vapor return lines.

JbAR62n.jpg

I also removed the hot air inlet to the air filter. I live in temperate CA and its never cold enough for this. Probably keep it for original parts reasons unless someone here needs it.

KcWiKeB.jpg

• Like 1

Turns out the plugs were 1/2”-20. Seemed the they were tapered a bit too. The 1/2” plugs went in fine though and I stoppered up the air intake with a rubber stopper! 

IMG_2811.thumb.jpeg.29647ef79d2b3f0fe53a8a242edae244.jpeg

Replaced the fuel vapor lines and clamps and we’re good to go! 

Got the old (Chinese reman) alternator back in I think it’s buttoned up for a couple weeks while I source more parts! 

• Like 1

There’s someone selling a matchbox distributor on Facebook right now for $150. The page is called “Church of L Series.” The user selling it is legit. His name is Mike Malone. He’s a well known Mikuni carb rebuilder. Just throwing that out there. These things get snatched up pretty quick.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

There’s someone selling a matchbox distributor on Facebook right now for $150. The page is called “Church of L Series.” The user selling it is legit. His name is Mike Malone. He’s a well known Mikuni carb rebuilder. Just throwing that out there. These things get snatched up pretty quick.

Nice!! I’ll check that out. 

16 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Found mike on facebook, hes 30 minutes away from me!! Gunna go pick that thing up on Wednesday. Thanks Mainer!!

It will bolt on but it's a larger diameter than the original and there is not really enough room on a truck. There's the lower radiator hose, the frame and the idler arm right below it. The 620 is similar and I got one on but it was a poor fit. The cooling fins wore a hole in the hose and when tensioned the alternator bumped the idle arm. I had to put the belt over the pulley first then bolt it on. 

You may have better luck than me.

36 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

It will bolt on but it's a larger diameter than the original and there is not really enough room on a truck. There's the lower radiator hose, the frame and the idler arm right below it. The 620 is similar and I got one on but it was a poor fit. The cooling fins wore a hole in the hose and when tensioned the alternator bumped the idle arm. I had to put the belt over the pulley first then bolt it on. 

You may have better luck than me.

Yeah I was able to fit the one from the 200SX which is the same size as this one. That one had the broken regulator so I had to pull it. 

thanks for the heads up. Seems like the area where the smog pump was would be a better spot for the alternator on these trucks… 

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Back in the 'mid '70s my alternator bracket snapped both bolts off in the block. A friend made a bracket that fit where the smog pump would have fitted and moved it over to below the distributor side. Much better spot.

This is the way. Someday if/when I put a L20b in this thing I’ll rethink the whole layout and electrical scheme. It’s working great right now with the Chinese 35A alternator. 

2 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Alternator on the exhaust manifold side sucks too. All the roadster guys relocate them away from the heat.

Maybe the room is cramped in a Roadster engine bay and probably they make more heat, tons of room and lots of air circulation from the fan in a 521.

On 11/28/2023 at 8:56 AM, banzai510(hainz) said:

Im thinking he can stall it for you in 15mins!!!!!!!!!!!!!Since he leads this church

Mike is a super cool dude! He gave me some great info and showed me some of the Mikuni stuff he works on and a few engines he’s building. He has SOOO many carburetors!!! Haha. Some

nice Dattos too. 

we didn’t put the matchbox in there as I need to wire up some new connectors and put the new coil in but will tackle that this weekend. 

• Like 1