Stock LSD differential on sss?

Labubre

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything is possible though I have never heard it mentioned. '90s Subaru had H-165 with LSD usually in 4.11 ratio. Could have been swapped. Previous owner may have welded it up. 

How are you determining that it might have an LSD??

I would drain and take the back cover off or perhaps a look through the fill hole with a bore scope or flash light?

18 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Anything is possible though I have never heard it mentioned. '90s Subaru had H-165 with LSD usually in 4.11 ratio. Could have been swapped. Previous owner may have welded it up. 

How are you determining that it might have an LSD??

I would drain and take the back cover off or perhaps a look through the fill hole with a bore scope or flash light?

R160

• Thanks 1

Yes R-160 I was thinking of the H-165 in my 710.

I believe that at one time Nissan owned some stock in Fuji Heavy Industries as did Toyota, Mazda and maybe others. Not much sense each car maker re-inventing the wheel when needing a differential or transmission. JATCO automatics are also shared over several car makers also. 

• Like 1
On 11/3/2023 at 10:57 AM, Labubre said:

Thanks, will try to figure this out next time i visit car underneath.

Perhaps a reference will be mentionned

Spinning wheels off the ground OR pull diff & rear cover for visual..............only ways I know to test for LSD.  I Have never heard of an LSD option, but as mentioned above, could have been installed any time in its life!  The early USA spec 1980's Subbie factory optional LSD's all had a 2x3 sticker on the rear plate that clearly said "LSD".  If your diff is typical dirty grungy & no sticker, than NOT likely a factory Subbie LSD diff................??

• Like 1

If it's a Subi LSD both rear wheels will spin the same way and if you have your buddy hold one wheel from spinning you can grab the other and spin it independently.  The break away is really low on them but it's a awesome upgrade.  

• Like 2