Berkybot

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Berkybot said:

Has anyone tried to swap a 4bt into a 720? I can’t find an original nissan diesel motor so I wonder if a 4bt swap would be possible.

Not that I have heard but being a 4cyl it's a good option for an alternate diesel .... I believe they are solid engines with decent power potential..... 

Not sure what kind of hoops you'll have to go through to fit it but anything is possible.....

Get a tape measure and get some measurements.... 

I'd get what ever transmission that fits the engine and then you just need to modify the driveshaft... I think trying to mate the Cummins to a Nissan transmission could be trick if its even possible.....

7 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

It's a pretty cool little motor. They are selling it as a crate motor, which comes with all kinds of benefits. Transmission adapters are available for a wide array of swaps.

I have a few friends running these and I've considered trying one out.

Just looked it up 

10000 gets you a fully dressed crate engine.... I believe you get everything.... 

• Like 1

Yea I’m good, I’m not buying a motor worth more than my truck. I have been trying to find an SD series diesel but no luck. I will definitely not stoop to a Volkswagen. 4bts are usually fairly cheap which is why I originally thought it could be a good motor for a swap.

1 hour ago, Berkybot said:

Yea I’m good, I’m not buying a motor worth more than my truck. I have been trying to find an SD series diesel but no luck. I will definitely not stoop to a Volkswagen. 4bts are usually fairly cheap which is why I originally thought it could be a good motor for a swap.

What about the diesel from the chevy luv or isuzu...

Someone here just swapped one in... dont remember if it was a 720 or a 620... or if they are hard to find motors or any good.....

• Like 1

I imported an SD22 engine from Australia, it was not that expensive, I had help from the guy I bought it from, he got it to the place needed to be shipped from in the Brisbane port, but once it got to the USA I started getting calls/bills from what were likely scammers trying to get me to pay more money for this or that, I got on the phone with one of them, listened to what he had to say, I then informed him I had already pre-paid everything needed to get it to the Portland Oregon yard, the guy did not like that at all, I told him to keep it and hung up, later I got a call from a Portland Or shipping/receiving yard that my engine was there and all I needed was a release from Customs(cheap) and I had to pay a $75.00 forklift fee to have it loaded on my truck, I ignored everyone that wanted money other than customs and the yard that had the engine, later I searched about that shipment and found a result, the result called me a genius at importing that engine, I expect the guy I bought it from was the genius.

I to this day still have that engine, but I removed the VE type injection pump, and everything involved with the pump and put it on a rebuilt engine, it did not work that well but it did run, then before I got any farther on that I figured out how to turbocharge my SD25 diesel engine that had the inline pump and the rest is history.

I will say this to avoid questions, I have turbocharged an SD22 engine(friends) with an inline injection pump and did not get anywhere near the result I got with my SD25 engine, not even close, this kinda spoiled the smaller SD22 engine for me, I have not suggested to anyone turbocharging one of them since, my SD25 engine had 71hp, it likely has 120hp with that turbocharger I used, I turbocharged another SD25 engine I have with a different turbocharger and got the same kind of positive result, but quite different result, that engine has some serious torque, but it is not as freeway friendly(I have to put my foot much deeper into the pedal to do freeway speeds), even with 3.3 gears in the rear(its a dually), it will tow another 720 diesel engine truck with a towbar and I can hardly feel it back there.

I have diesel engines, but shipping them would be expensive.

Edited by wayno

I spent a good while looking at OM6?? (I think I was looking at 617s?, maybe 606s?)  Anyway, 5 cylinder straight diesel or turbo diesel from Mercedes Benz.  80's stuff specifically.  I thought they would make a pretty great lower budget diesel swap.  

I'm not sure you can get a 4bt swap for less than your truck is worth either.  I agree that new cummins is pricey, but a 4bt swap is still going to run $4K isn't it?  Still seems steep unless you are all in on your truck.