reflectors on the 1969 1/2 Pl 521 pickup

surfingcowboy

My Pl 521 1600 was manufactured in December of 1969. It has round side reflectors. Yesterday at the Route 66 Reunion car show in Ontario, CA, I saw a photo of a 1969 521 without any reflectors at all on the sides of the truck (rear and front fenders). Was that original? Or, did all 1969 trucks have round reflectors. In over 50 years, I've only seen one other 521 1600 with round reflectors.

My recollection is that in 1970 the 521 changed to rectangular reflectors. Can anyone confirm that?

Also, did the 1971 or 1972 model have rectangular running lights that replaced the side reflectors?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, surfingcowboy said:

My Pl 521 1600 was manufactured in December of 1969. It has round side reflectors. Yesterday at the Route 66 Reunion car show in Ontario, CA, I saw a photo of a 1969 521 without any reflectors at all on the sides of the truck (rear and front fenders). Was that original? Or, did all 1969 trucks have round reflectors. In over 50 years, I've only seen one other 521 1600 with round reflectors.

My recollection is that in 1970 the 521 changed to rectangular reflectors. Can anyone confirm that?

Also, did the 1971 or 1972 model have rectangular running lights that replaced the side reflectors?

I know my 72 521 has the square side marker lights... not sure on anything else...

Thanks for the feedback. It all fits. My research since posting this is that the federal law regarding side markers was that at least reflectors were required in either 1968 or '69, depending on the source of the information. Everyone is in agreement that 1970 was the first year of required running lights on the side.

I'll be posting my truck for sale in the next few days here. I'm the second owner, bought it in 1972 with 40k miles. Pretty much all original. Runs great. Have a good spare engine too. Just showed it this weekend for the first time at the Route 66 car show in Ontario, CA. I've put $8k into the restoration so far… 

There were several styles but I think all 520s and L521s (J13s) had round rear reflectors. The PL521 October '69 and on ('70 model year with L16) were rear red rectangular with bulbs.

Front fenders were amber arrow shape electrical from May '68 till Sept '69 when they became amber rectangular for the '70 model year.

I've seen a J13 powered 520/L521? with the electrical amber arrow front markers. Tried removing but so rusty.

qleJLBC.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, surfingcowboy said:

Thanks for the feedback. It all fits. My research since posting this is that the federal law regarding side markers was that at least reflectors were required in either 1968 or '69, depending on the source of the information. Everyone is in agreement that 1970 was the first year of required running lights on the side.

I'll be posting my truck for sale in the next few days here. I'm the second owner, bought it in 1972 with 40k miles. Pretty much all original. Runs great. Have a good spare engine too. Just showed it this weekend for the first time at the Route 66 car show in Ontario, CA. I've put $8k into the restoration so far… 

Your pics are too small..... 

😄

Mine has an L16 and the round lights. Not exactly sure on the year. 

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

There were several styles but I think all 520s and L521s (J13s) had round rear reflectors. The PL521 October '69 and on ('70 model year with L16) were rear red rectangular with bulbs.

Front fenders were amber arrow shape electrical from May '68 till Sept '69 when they became amber rectangular for the '70 model year.

I've seen a J13 powered 520/L521? with the electrical amber arrow front markers. Tried removing but so rusty.

qleJLBC.jpg

US never had this style marker

8 hours ago, datzenmike said:

October '69 is the introduction of the rectangular front and rear marker lights however the L16 was introduced 4? months earlier in July 69 so yes! there are PL521s with round rear marker lights. What are on the front fenders?

Mine are round front and rear. 

Well my information is from Nissan but Nissan is chock full of exceptions . Should have got the year on that truck from Saskatchewan. Note the two different front running/turn signal lights. My '68 510 had amber turn signal lenses that the US didn't get.

Again, can anybody tell me what my truck is worth as I described it? What are Pl521s going for in good running condition?

4 hours ago, surfingcowboy said:

Again, can anybody tell me what my truck is worth as I described it? What are Pl521s going for in good running condition?

Take a look at b.a.t.

https://bringatrailer.com/datsun/pickup/

I'm actually surprised at some of the current prices....

I see them as low as 5,000...

An SR powered 521 sold for 6900 I think it said...

And a refreshed stock one for over 17000..... 

There is one currently bidding at 8100... follow it and see what it sells for.... around 10,000 possibly.....

You should be able to compare what yours looks like to those that are being sold....