Nissan wheels are on

silroc

I finally got the Nissan wheels and tires put on.

It was more of a project than I anticipated.

yw1wBdB.jpg

7fENaTC.jpg

The wheels I bought off craigslist years ago. They were fairly rusty inside and backside so I cleaned those up and painted over the remains of the rust. I tried “Rust Bullet” paint for the first time with mixed results if anyone wants info on that product. On the back inside of the rim it is stamped: J 15x6KK DOT TOPU 216 89 S3.8 NISSAN. Does anyone know for sure what vehicles these would have come on?

kSBfPfE.jpg

sEYJh0t.jpg

For the tires it took a bit of looking to find 15” that were cheap. Turns out NTB had some for $62 so I got 205x65 for the rears, 195x65 for the fronts. I don’t need high performance, high speed, high mileage, rain or winter tread – only cheap. So that worked out. I had my local guy mount them and he put the balancing beads inside. My first experience with those, let’s see how that works out.

For center caps I found the closest diameter ones I could on Amazon and got creative with adapting. See the pictures – cut them down in height but left little tabs I could bend out. I had some big, hefty Buna-N o-rings that worked perfectly to fill in the gap (1/8”) and hold them tight. [cap cover on front wheel is missing in the pic]

qU6n6RZ.jpg

OOiO9uV.jpg

The lugs and nuts were a bit of a fiasco. I was kind of going crazy trying to figure out just what I needed. I ordered 12mm x 15thd chrome lug nuts because that is what I measured on the front and all the old lug nuts could be used on any wheel. When it came time to put everything together, I finally understood why I was confused. The rear lugs were 12mmx12.5 which I think are stock. My new chrome nuts did not fit but at least I had some other new clean nuts to use. The fronts are what I had measured the threads on as 12x15, but the new chrome nuts wouldn’t fit those either! However, any of the old nuts would thread on! Turns out the old 12x12.5 nuts had been forced onto the 12x15 lugs and messed them up so the new chrome ones would not thread on. That’s when I got a 12x15 hex thread chaser to fix the lugs. Then the chrome nuts fit fine.  I had purchased all new lugs & nuts that I intended to put on until I learned what a PITA it is to swap them. I would still like to put on the new ones eventually as the final result I ended up with seems a little sketchy.

Now that it’s all done, I’m not sure how much I really like the look. I’m sad to say I might like the original look better. But that is what I’m used to, hopefully I’ll come around to this – see what kind of reactions I get.

• Like 4
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic