1986 Nissan 720 just replaced the motor

Handi720

I just replaced the motor in my truck bought everything to overhaul it new clutch everything. It idles to high, I took everything emissions out of it. No o2 sensor, egr delete, everything. I need help figuring out how to get it to idle lower.  it's also leaking oil out of the lower exhaust gasket. If there is any info u can help me with I would be greatful. Tya

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Handi720 said:

Oil is coming from lower exhaust flange, I don't know how to upload pictures on here from my phone or I would show u. I have a fb with pictures and video 

Almost certainly a leak down from the valve cover gasket. Lightly tighten the valve cover bolts. Spray clean with carb cleaner DO NOT USE BRAKE CLEANER!!!!! Brake cleaner on hot exhaust or hot exhaust on next start up can decompose into Phosgene gas.  Phosgene gas was used in trench warfare in WW1. As little as 4 ppm can kill. Keep in mind if heating any brake parts with a torch also.

De greased you'll be able to see where it starts leaking again if it does.

• Like 1

100_9742.thumb.jpg.87e6687c985f396f089b422315464685.jpgWhy did you delete your egr.I run a Weber and I use all my vacuum lines.It runs perfect.I have a fairly new egr valve.I also use a idle cut off solenoid.My Weber idles perfect.You may have a blown head gasket.I also use NGK Iridum spark plugs,way better then the stock NGK ones.I've had my 720 for 29 years.like Mike said your linkage on your Weber may be too tight.I have 22,000 miles on my spark plugs.

Edited by Thomas Perkins

I'll assume the replacement is another Z24? They are prone to head gasket failure at or near 100k miles. Your replacement may be exhibiting those symptoms. The preventative for this is to re-torque the head bolts once a year or every tune up. The procedure, on a COLD engine, is to loosen just one bolt and right away tighten to 60 ft. lbs. (use a torque wrench) and only then move to the next bolt. You can do them in ant order you like. This may or may not be the problem and if it is it may be too late but worth doing anyway if it isn't.

• Like 1

When buying a used motor ,it is a gamble with no warranty.Our Z24's has a history of blown head gaskets.Best too spend more from a company that gives warranty.I paid 1900 for mine from Jasper in 2009.I now have 104,000 miles on it.It came with a 3 year or 100, 000 mile warranty  whatever came first.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • 2 weeks later...

Well.... it's kind of frustrating to help troubleshoot a problem with the given clues and the OP never comes back. Can only assume that it was fixed. Like reading a whodunit novel and the last page is missing.

Which suggestion worked? Someone else years from now might have the same symptoms and come here for help.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, for the greater good. Some posters come with their problem, get suggestions and are never seen again. So it either works, it's not what they want to hear or it confirms what others have said.

I find the oddest ones are based on the symptoms (cranks smartly and has spark) and everything points to the carburetor, everything. They come back a month later and when asked they say the battery was changed and everything ok. Like W directly TF?????? 

• Like 1