Fuel Enconomy

Canaan

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I inherited the truck from my grandpa after he past about a year and a half ago and I was wondering what I could potentially do to reduce the fuel consumption and emissions, as I'm wanting to move to Germany soon and take it with me.

I'd recommend checking the rules of what you can do to the truck in Germany...  

I always thought the 720 was pretty fuel efficient... do you have a current idea of your average gas mileage?

How much of an improvement are you looking for?

Edited by Crashtd420

Germany is full of Rules and Regulations and is a pain in the ass. Parts are not Plentiful in Germany for older Datsuns and Nissans. Just a crack in the windshield you wont make it thru TUV.(the vehicle inspection place) Fuck the window squirter you will fail if it dont work!!!.  I would get a landcruiser 70 series pickup a older one if you want a truck.

I know it was your grandfathers. But if you in Military just keep it here till you come back. If military it will be ezer to get registered. Ifyou living there just to move and import it then I would think different.

These trucks really dont get great gas milage My 521 gets maybe 19-22 if that

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

The NAPS system is already pretty good for low emissions and economy.... if everything is still there and working. Many people disable/remove emissions equipment so that it looks 'cleaner' but in reality it's a mistaken belief that it will return power lost to this equipment. The reality is that at full throttle none of the pollution equipment is functioning so there is no gain. Some equipment actually improves economy.

Get a Nissan factory service manual (FSM) and NOT Haynes or Clymore. They are usually on e Bay. Tune the engine up to specification and make sure all the equipment is there and functional.

Tips that anyone can do to get 10% better mileage:

Just drive it properly and at the speed limit. Avoid stopping and applying the brakes. Every time you have to slow down you are throwing away the fuel used to get up to speed. Anticipate red lights and slow down slowly. Try avoiding unnecessary braking. This will give anyone a 10% increase. It's hard to undo what everyone does when driving and takes discipline.

1/ Keep tire pressures up, check regularly.

2/ Remove unnecessary weight from cab and box. All weight comes with a gas penalty to get it up to vehicle speed.

3/ Keep engine in tune.

4/ Avoid short trips where the choke is on.

4 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I'd recommend checking the rules of what you can do to the truck in Germany...  

I always thought the 720 was pretty fuel efficient... do you have a current idea of your average gas mileage?

How much of an improvement are you looking for?

I believe it was around 27 miles per gallon back when my grandpa drove it. I don't know what the fuel economy would be if I drove it, given the clutch was burned out when I got it and I'm still waiting on my uncle to get his trailer fixed to move it to a shop to get it replaced. And I'm looking to possibly push it close to 30mpg if possible.

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The NAPS system is already pretty good for low emissions and economy.... if everything is still there and working. Many people disable/remove emissions equipment so that it looks 'cleaner' but in reality it's a mistaken belief that it will return power lost to this equipment. The reality is that at full throttle none of the pollution equipment is functioning so there is no gain. Some equipment actually improves economy.

Get a Nissan factory service manual (FSM) and NOT Haynes or Clymore. They are usually on e Bay. Tune the engine up to specification and make sure all the equipment is there and functional.

Tips that anyone can do to get 10% better mileage:

Just drive it properly and at the speed limit. Avoid stopping and applying the brakes. Every time you have to slow down you are throwing away the fuel used to get up to speed. Anticipate red lights and slow down slowly. Try avoiding unnecessary braking. This will give anyone a 10% increase. It's hard to undo what everyone does when driving and takes discipline.

1/ Keep tire pressures up, check regularly.

2/ Remove unnecessary weight from cab and box. All weight comes with a gas penalty to get it up to vehicle speed.

3/ Keep engine in tune.

4/ Avoid short trips where the choke is on.

Alright, I'll work on getting all this done. And do you think re-gearing some of the gear in the transmission to be more suited for just driving around would be a decent idea or no?

as some one who also got stationed in germany, and was forced to leave my car in germany at the port, don't do it. if it's sentimental to you, you run a very real chance of losing it. there is an entire economy of local german scrap yards that want to scrap your car for parts that aren't as accessible there.

don't "leave it with a friend" ethier. lost my first car that way. pay a storage facility in a decent area to keep it safe. 

4 hours ago, Canaan said:

I believe it was around 27 miles per gallon back when my grandpa drove it. I don't know what the fuel economy would be if I drove it, given the clutch was burned out when I got it and I'm still waiting on my uncle to get his trailer fixed to move it to a shop to get it replaced. And I'm looking to possibly push it close to 30mpg if possible.

Alright, I'll work on getting all this done. And do you think re-gearing some of the gear in the transmission to be more suited for just driving around would be a decent idea or no?

4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I doubt you'll get better than 27. That pretty good.

Sticker on the 1986 was 22 City and 26 Highway

Sticker on the 1984 was 25, guess it was a combined mileage? 

Best I got, was 28mpg, all highway @ 65mph or so, all highway aside from me getting on/off highway to put in gas.  My speedometer read a little low, 65mph on the speedometer was actually 60. 

54 minutes ago, Raggleflaggle said:

s some one who also got stationed in germany, and was forced to leave my car in germany at the port, don't do it.

I agree with Raggle dont do it.

PS people dont drive slow in Germany.Youll just block traffic even on the back roads.

30mph???? your dreaming

Bet the truck never passes inspection.  one rust spot your done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ever been to a German junk yard? Nicest cars youll ever find!! I mean it

If your in the military the US inspection might be ezer to comply with German Law.

If one managed to actually get high 20s for MPGs in a 720 id genuinely be impressed. My single-short 4cyl 2WD 5MT 2000 Chevy S10 (which should be the most efficient setup) gets 26-27 on the highway. granted that's with AC on doing keep-up-with-traffic speeds but still, that thing has the benefit of fuel injection. If I manage 20MPG with my 720 I will be stoked. 

Your 84 Nissan 720 2.4 5-speed MPG is listed as 25 highway.20 city.Average is 22.You can find this online.Go to 84 Nissan 720 gas mileage,then stroll down to fuel economy(gov)on the 84 Nissan 720 and click their.This is probably based on 55 mph on the highway since that was the speed limit back then.Go that slow now,you will get ran over.I have a 85 Nissan 720 4x4 king cab,2.4 5-speed and my average is 18 mpg for 29 years.I have a 15.7 gallon gas tank.The original carb and Weber get the same MPG on mine.But I go no faster than 70 on the highway.Troopers are everywhere here.

Edited by Thomas Perkins

Yeah, the 5 speed does better.  Hardly an apples to apples comparison, 3 model years with one being an automatic.  Suppose, gives one a good understanding of what was claimed at that time.

Another real world source of possible mileage 

https://www.fuelly.com/car/nissan/720

Other car tracking apps, also have similar pages, just have to look around for them.

Edited by 720_Jeff

What the fuck??????? One for '81 trucks has 4 vehicles 2 are gas and 2 are diesel. Both diesels are over 30 and this brings the average up on the gas engines. Talk about apples and oranges!!!!!!

Another has 7 trucks one a 12 MPG camper and one at least is a 4x4 average for all 7 is 16 MPG. This is BS. Throw it away.

9 hours ago, datzenmike said:

What the fuck??????? One for '81 trucks has 4 vehicles 2 are gas and 2 are diesel. Both diesels are over 30 and this brings the average up on the gas engines. Talk about apples and oranges!!!!!!

Another has 7 trucks one a 12 MPG camper and one at least is a 4x4 average for all 7 is 16 MPG. This is BS. Throw it away.

Fuelly is a good spot, however can't take it at face value using the link I supplied.  You'll need to dig around between the years and different options. 

Using 1986 as the example, two vehicles have a large number of fuel ups.  One, being mine 🙂  I'm jjatkin, 225 fuel ups and I know exactly what I did.  My vehicle always passed California emissions, so that is a data point that needs to be taken into consideration.

Never missed a data point, kept it very accurate.  The only thing, my speedo read about 10% slower than what it was doing, so account for that and your good.  The other vehicle at some 176+ fill ups, can't attest to what he/she did, but assume it was somewhat accurate.

So, look for the same fuel, look for a large number of data points, and one could extrapolate what one is likely to get or not.