510 Replacement Gas Tank

Took the gas tank out of the dime and there was about 1- 1 1/2 gallons of gas in the tank. Not sure how long it had been sitting there for, but there is about 1 - 2 inches of sludge.

I am currently trying to clean it up. I tried baking soda and vinegar and also tried Simply Green to see if that would work. So far I have not had any success. I recently read about muriatic acid, and that is my next step to see if I can clean this tank up. In case I am not able to get it into a good working shape, are there any good replacement gas tanks on the market? All the used ones I see are going for upwards of $800.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Goosie_the_xiii said:

Took the gas tank out of the dime and there was about 1- 1 1/2 gallons of gas in the tank. Not sure how long it had been sitting there for, but there is about 1 - 2 inches of sludge.

I am currently trying to clean it up. I tried baking soda and vinegar and also tried Simply Green to see if that would work. So far I have not had any success. I recently read about muriatic acid, and that is my next step to see if I can clean this tank up. In case I am not able to get it into a good working shape, are there any good replacement gas tanks on the market? All the used ones I see are going for upwards of $800.

Is it rust or the sludge residue you can't get out?

With the stuff you used did you put anything in the tank like some rocks or old pieces of chain?

That will help break things loose as you shake it around....

You could pressure wash the inside too..... 

I'd recommend sealing it after , with that kind of stuff you'll need to wash and degrease the inside when you're done anyhow....

If you do use this stuff.. ked-kote.. 1 quart should do the whole tank....

I used it on mine and a motorcycle tank with excellent results... prep is key.... you have to make sure the tank is clean and dry first... 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285307320306?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=upBrrpNsTu6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=2B08jY5FRkS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Screenshot_20230531-112321_eBay.jpg

• Like 1

There is a radiator shop in New Orleans I took all of mine to, they soaked it in I guess is the solution they clean radiators in and cleaned it then coated it. So far so good. That's been several or more years ago.

9 hours ago, edekalil said:

There is a radiator shop in New Orleans I took all of mine to, they soaked it in I guess is the solution they clean radiators in and cleaned it then coated it. So far so good. That's been several or more years ago.

That's how I did mine because it was nasty.... they actually cut a hole and had to sandblast some of the interior on mine too, as well as soaking it....

That's also how I came across that red-kote product... its what they used to seal the tank when done....

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

That's how I did mine because it was nasty.... they actually cut a hole and had to sandblast some of the interior on mine too, as well as soaking it....

That's also how I came across that red-kote product... its what they used to seal the tank when done....

I believe they used the same product on mine to coat the inside, it is a reddish color.

• Like 1