HOW TO: Tubing Bender

airedout

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Redeye posted about bender plans on the http://www.pro-tools.com/ site. I'm sure this uses the same dies, but seems a good bit more stout. Before you get too excited about building one, check out the prices on the dies. I've wanted to build one for several years now, but the dies keep holding me back :(

Redeye posted about bender plans on the http://www.pro-tools.com/ site. I'm sure this uses the same dies, but seems a good bit more stout. Before you get too excited about building one, check out the prices on the dies. I've wanted to build one for several years now, but the dies keep holding me back :(

can you make a die mike?

What if... you got a piece of thick wall pipe bent, with the inner diameter you want, and cut it lengthwise in half. Now you have the right die shape. All you need to do is support the inside curve (outside of the pipe) with lots of metal to support and strengthen it. Admitedly, it won't be hardened like a die, but it's only used for home projects anyway and isn't cranking out roll bars five days a week, and it would be easy to weld up any wear spots. Sorry, I get carried away, if it was this easy it would have been done already.

What if... you got a piece of thick wall pipe bent, with the inner diameter you want, and cut it lengthwise in half. Now you have the right die shape. All you need to do is support the inside curve (outside of the pipe) with lots of metal to support and strengthen it. Admitedly, it won't be hardened like a die, but it's only used for home projects anyway and isn't cranking out roll bars five days a week, and it would be easy to weld up any wear spots. Sorry, I get carried away, if it was this easy it would have been done already.

You think like me, I would rather spend all day building it myself and for cheap. I feel gratification in doing it cheaper but higher quality at the same time.

I could do the round die on the lathe. I think the idea for the heavy wall pipe could be made to work for the other die.....if not, it would be a bit spendy to have one machined. One of these days I'll get around to building one :)

but you would need a die to make the base bend for the homemade die...DOH

No, I was thinking of just having one bent. There must be a place somewhere that does this. How much could it cost, certainly under $20- 30.

And yes Mike, with a lathe and lots of spare time you could make one. Wish I had a lathe.

reread your post and I get the idea now. I would imagine it would work...maybe not for thick wall, but that would be a pretty cheap way to do it. You'ld need another straight piece to support the bottom under the die. The trick with these is that the pipe is supported all the way around the dia. at the point of bend.

I was thinking it could bend thin pipe for custom exhaust systems or to get that one pipe to fit just right. Don't use roll bars,... yet.

I was up to the scrap metal yard near me and they have tons of stuff, including various hydraulic rams. There was also an old oil furnace burner motor with the fan and hydraulic pump attached. The pumps put out some serious pressure to atomize the fuel through the nozzle, well you know how it works! Anyway, a ram, an electric oil furnace burner pump and a two? way manual hydraulic valve, and you have the makings of an electric powered bender. Not too fast but who cares and the parts would be cheap. Here I go again!