Shocks

Rusty Dawg

Howdy folks,

Looking to replace what seem to be the original shocks on my 1960 222 truck and I was curious if anyone might be able to tell me a source for replacements.  There seems to be 2 different parts/reference numbers depending on whether it goes on the the front or the rear axle.  One of these I could not compress as it was completely locked up.

Thanks,

Roman

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's been forever, but the 320 rear shocks were Mazda B2000?

Here's a Rancho shocks PDF of all their sizes and styles - https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/pdf_documents/rancho_shock_specifications.pdf

Not that you want white and red shocks on the truck, but maybe you could use a Rancho PN as a cross reference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

It's been forever, but the 320 rear shocks were Mazda B2000?

Here's a Rancho shocks PDF of all their sizes and styles - https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/pdf_documents/rancho_shock_specifications.pdf

Not that you want white and red shocks on the truck, but maybe you could use a Rancho PN as a cross reference.

I'm sure the Ranchos are good shocks; just paint 'em to original or whatever color you want. 

The rears on a 320 are no problem. I have several replacement interchanges archived.

It's the fronts that are a B1tch. The bottom eye is real narrow on the original 320; otherwise the front shock from a 2WD Datsun up to the 720 will fit right in. You can grind/cut the eye width down or change out the lower bracket on the lower control arm and use the later Datsun shock. This pic is with the lower bracket changed out and a Monroe 32206 shock for later Datsun pickup. If the 222 has trosion-bar front suspension, it's probably same as 320. I don't remember which model that Nissan changed from beam/leaf axle to torsion-bar.

Shox & Brakes Goin On.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pretty cool that your original shocks are stamped with numbers matching the parts book (which doesn’t show the rear shock in a diagram). The lower left and upper right text entries show front and rear numbers for the 222 (f: 56110-02702, r: 56212-02702). The 223 parts book shows # 56210-04301 for the rear shocks (different number than shown for the 222 rear). I don’t know the 320 rear numbers. I don’t know how Datsun does part numbers, so I would assume different number means different shocks. The 223 was torsion bar independent in the front like a 320, the 222 was solid beam in front. 222 shocks front and rear have studs on both ends, so no eyes. My 222 has some old Alfa Romeo rear shocks both front and rear; they are too long. They didn’t bottom out when I was driving the truck, but I know they would, so they aren’t staying on there. They would also be expensive to source; I happened to have them in my homeless possessions mental  hoarding disorder shed in my back yard. Had to work that in to the story, even if it was kind of awkward. ACTUAL RELEVANT INFORMATION: the rear shocks off of early (like late ‘60s) ford mustangs are supposed to fit both front and rear on the 222. I have purchased a set of rear mustang air adjustable shocks to put on the back of my truck, but I haven’t installed them so can’t give a full report. They are short enough at minimum, but are fatter, so I have to make sure there is clearance. May or may not be worth the trouble (of air fittings, etc.), we’ll see. Please report back what you end up putting on there. 

355E4CAB-D56A-406A-B981-72F78126372C.jpeg

D77B796D-38A4-4016-836D-29E9F1F8EAD6.jpeg

Edited by nicklp
Clarify
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, nicklp said:

Pretty cool that your original shocks are stamped with numbers matching the parts book (which doesn’t show the rear shock in a diagram). The lower left and upper right text entries show front and rear numbers for the 222 (f: 56110-02702, r: 56212-02702). The 223 parts book shows # 56210-04301 for the rear shocks (different number than shown for the 222 rear). I don’t know the 320 rear numbers. I don’t know how Datsun does part numbers, so I would assume different number means different shocks. The 223 was torsion bar independent in the front like a 320, the 222 was solid beam in front. 222 shocks front and rear have studs on both ends, so no eyes. My 222 has some old Alfa Romeo rear shocks both front and rear; they are too long. They didn’t bottom out when I was driving the truck, but I know they would, so they aren’t staying on there. They would also be expensive to source; I happened to have them in my homeless possessions mental  hoarding disorder shed in my back yard. Had to work that in to the story, even if it was kind of awkward. ACTUAL RELEVANT INFORMATION: the rear shocks off of early (like late ‘60s) ford mustangs are supposed to fit both front and rear on the 222. I have purchased a set of rear mustang air adjustable shocks to put on the back of my truck, but I haven’t installed them so can’t give a full report. They are short enough at minimum, but are fatter, so I have to make sure there is clearance. May or may not be worth the trouble (of air fittings, etc.), we’ll see. Please report back what you end up putting on there. 

355E4CAB-D56A-406A-B981-72F78126372C.jpeg

D77B796D-38A4-4016-836D-29E9F1F8EAD6.jpeg

I wasn't able to cross anything with these numbers.  I was able to go by measurement and I came up with a pair of Monroe shocks that compress to 10 1/8" measured from the bottom of the top stud to the other bottom of the lower stud vs. mine which are 10" compressed.  The new ones extend almost 2" more, but don't think that is an issue or at least I don't believe so.  I went with the same shock for both front and back as I couldn't tell anything differences in length between the two.  Maybe the rear shocks originally had beefier internals to take the weight?  I don't plan to haul much other than garden goods from Lowes or beer kegs for my kegerator, so I should be good.  One issue I do see is that the studs on the new shocks are longer and thus the threads may not go far enough to secure them to the brackets.  Would running a die to add a few more threads be a bad idea?

• Like 1

Die-cut threads should be acceptable on the shocks. Steering and suspension threads that are susceptible to a crash on failure generally have roll-formed external and form-tap internal threads. Die cut threads are more susceptible to stress cracks. 

11 hours ago, Rusty Dawg said:

Well fortunately I didn't have to do a thing and they work great.  Three shocks were shot and one was locked in the extended position.  

Rides like a Caddy now😀

The more you correct little problems, the more amazing these trucks get!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.  I just did a google search for kyb and started typing the nissan number off of the original shock and this came up. 

https://winstores.com/products/ws022558

I did a search for this and this kit came up

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133732506827?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28&srsltid=AR57-fB-3RFmyPQCrdushE7T5wQpi-9tvSEESmwcrk7k04OGVI7pKgAPK7A

I am trying to find the specs on these shocks, but am I wrong in thinking these look pretty close?