Nissan 720 desert racing truck

My Googlefu has Googleleft because I have been unable to answer two relatively simple questions about the famous red/white/blue Nissan 720 desert race truck.https://www.hoonigan.com/blogs/daily-transmission/between-a-hardbody-and-a-720

I like the "stance" and height of this truck and would like to replicate the look. However, I cannot locate a definite tire size. Also, for suspension modifications only the following is listed:

"For suspension, it's still a Sway-a-Way torsion bars and Dever leaf springs but uses two Fox Racing shocks per wheel, 2.5-inch diameter in the front and 2.0-inch in the rear. With all the work done, it was limited to just over 10.5-inches total travel front and about 14-inches in the rear."

BUT, the article continues:

"The Stock 720 had about 10-inches of front travel stock, so even with all that work done, it was only for a half-inch extra travel, but it would be enough to work."

In my feeble mind, this means the same "look" could be achieved without an expensive Fox double shock setup, just some fender trimming, similar size tires. (a .5 inch difference is acceptable) Would it require a front suspension lift and a rear add a leaf? A body lift? Both or neither?

What is the consensus among the Ratsun Brain Trust?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Conner racing used to sell those fiberglass fenders. I use his upper A arms for a lift but I bought them over 30 years ago. The heavy duty torsion bars didn't do much because you were limited to the diameter of the splined section. If you were to exceed that the bars would shear because that would be thier weakest spot. For a time you could by dual stage bars never tried them.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Jim Conner racing used to sell those fiberglass fenders. I use his upper A arms for a lift but I bought them over 30 years ago. The heavy duty torsion bars didn't do much because you were limited to the diameter of the splined section. If you were to exceed that the bars would shear because that would be thier weakest spot. For a time you could by dual stage bars never tried them.

When searching for the specifics of this truck, dual stage bars came up often, but listed suppliers no longer supplied. Curious if a metal fender could be cut and flared to create the look? (Since I have a set of new metal fenders)

11 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

I reached out to Jim Conner racing through his gmail account. We'll see.

• 3 weeks later...

I see these folks still make the upper control arms you need to lift the truck. They might be able to help you with your tire size question as well.

https://www.4x4parts.com/i-18915104-720-pick-up-suspension-lift.html

Perssonally I dislike add-a-leaf spring lifts. I used them on two different GMC Canyons and it made the rear suspension ride pretty harsh.