Coolant in Oil?

SupDoc

I was adjusting the valves on this L20B, when I noticed what might be some coolant in the oil. I could also hear oil gurgling and air pressure, when I turned the crank by hand. Maybe those sounds are normal, this was my first time adjusting valves. But, if you look at the close up picture of the cam tower bolts, the oil resting on top of the bolts looks a little foamy. It only appears to be on the rear two bolts. I couldn't find any other evidence of foam in the valve train. After I adjusted the valves, I checked compression. All the cylinders are around 160 psi, plus or minus a couple psi. What do you guys think, any cause for concern?

IMG_2880.thumb.jpg.9c9e925b9f8fbf23948c6b3b4e0d0b1a.jpg

IMG_2882.thumb.jpg.05ce5e7ab071ea030d19e960b7f4de88.jpg

IMG_2879.thumb.jpg.cd952a82715dc3535777c1516da68feb.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

gurgle is always heard esp if it was  warmed up

only you know if your loosing coolant. if you think your getting antifreeze in the oil your oil level will rise ovetime.

My 521 seems to have oil slightly in the rad when I looked in there. But when a water pump went out I cleaned it and was fine

My L20 head on my 521 was corroded bigtime on the head side near the timming cover.the one water passage from block to the head I just replaced the headgasket  and it fixed it but if it gets worse I need to have the head welded up or just swap with a spare

could be maybe from some condensation that built up under the valve cover but Im just guessing. Hard to gge it right now. Mine was bad it was all milky and was obvious(was a bad front timing cover had a Pin hole and once pressure came up it leaked into the oil pan. Happened from running old antifreeze, Being Green didnt mean it was still good. Change it out ever 3 years or so. Esp with Aluminum

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Thanks 1

While running, pull the crankcase vent hose off the PCV valve. Should be hissing sound, proves it's working. If none, remove valve and wash in gas and shake till you hear the check valve inside is loose. You might have a EGR delete from a previous owner, and you know what idiots they are. With the EGR deleted they also likely deleted the PCV valve (because that the easy way) and that's what keeps condensation from forming inside the engine. Always keep the PCV system functional.

If PCV is working, then there is the real possibility that coolant is slowly seeping into one of the cylinders and compression will force it past the rings and into the oil pan. Some leaks are so small a compression test may not show it.

Take it out for a long couple of hour drive and that water will evaporate.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, vicdat said:

Check your coolant recovery bottle to see if any bubble when engine is running.....that could be a headgasket.

That and a milky residue under the oil cap would be a symptom as it was in my Celica years ago.

Vicdat

Another reason to retorque your head bolts periodically as per factory recommendations,

• Like 1