Z22S SWAP TO SR20DET

RDMK

I want to buy Datsun 720 1980/83. I would like to know about the fit of the gearbox from the SR20DET to the body of the 720.

I would also like to know how it is with the differential, will it need to be changed after replacing the gearbox with one from the s13?

My last question concerns the car's computer, whether to install it from s13 or better to leave the 720.

Chcę kupić Datsuna 720 1980/83. Dzięki czemu opracujesz skrzynię biegów z SR20DET do korpusu 720. 

Czy też wiesz, jak jest z mechanizmem różnicowym, czy po dniu roboczym na taki z s13 będzie trzeba iść dalej?

Moje ostatnie pytanie dotyczy komputera auta, czy zainstalować go od s13 czy lepiej zostawić 720?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to buy Datsun 720 1980/83. I would like to know about the fit of the gearbox from the SR20DET to the body of the 720.

I would also like to know how it is with the differential, will it need to be changed after replacing the gearbox with one from the s13?

My last question concerns the car's computer, whether to install it from s13 or better to leave the 720.

Welcome.

You will need the engine, transmission, ecu and harness for this swap. It also does not directly bolt in very well.
Rear sump pan and moving the alternator up is required as well.

The rear will work behind the SR, but won't last if you plan on putting power through it. 

I have mounts to make this a clean (level) bolt in, but I am sure shipping to Poland is $ 🙂

• Like 1

The Z22 engine did not use any ECU and was a carburetor, so there is nothing there to use on the S13.

The S13 transmission is an FS5W71C which is similar is size to the FS5W71B that would be in the 720. It will almost certainly be about 10cm longer, so the drive shaft will need to be shortened. The S13 uses a electronic speed sensor but your 720 speedometer pinion sleeve should just bolt in and work.

8 hours ago, RDMK said:

I want to buy Datsun 720 1980/83. 

This is still in the early discovery phase if 'What IF????". Maybe get the 720 first,

Buying a JDM S13 SR20DET is a bit much, maybe it was in an accident? Usually the engine importers include the ECU with it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2023 at 6:24 PM, ]2eDeYe said:

Welcome.

You will need the engine, transmission, ecu and harness for this swap. It also does not directly bolt in very well.
Rear sump pan and moving the alternator up is required as well.

The rear will work behind the SR, but won't last if you plan on putting power through it. 

I have mounts to make this a clean (level) bolt in, but I am sure shipping to Poland is $ 🙂

Why does the rear oil pan need to be there?

S14 are IRS for independent rear suspension. The 720 is a solid axle so nothing of the IRS will fit the 720 axle.

To use the S13 IRS you would have to take the entire sub frame that everything mounts to and remove it, strip all the 720 axle and suspension out and somehow mount the S13 stuff in. One way to get it right and an infinite number of ways to cack it up.

41 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

S14 to IRS dla niezależnego tylnego zawieszenia. 720 to solidna oś, więc nic z IRS nie będzie pasować do osi 720.

Aby użyć S13 IRS, musiałbyś wziąć całą ramę pomocniczą, do której wszystko jest przymocowane i zdjąć ją, zdemontować całą oś 720 i zawieszenie i jakoś zamontować elementy S13. Jeden sposób, aby zrobić to dobrze i nieskończona liczba sposobów to spieprzyć.

it is possible to transfer the differential from the s14 to the datsun differential housing. I'm thinking of connecting the shafts one from the s14 gearbox and the other from datsun.

1 hour ago, RDMK said:

it is possible to transfer the differential from the s14 to the datsun differential housing. I'm thinking of connecting the shafts one from the s14 gearbox and the other from datsun.

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

S14 are IRS for independent rear suspension. The 720 is a solid axle so nothing of the IRS will fit the 720 axle.

To use the S13 IRS you would have to take the entire sub frame that everything mounts to and remove it, strip all the 720 axle and suspension out and somehow mount the S13 stuff in. One way to get it right and an infinite number of ways to cack it up.

NO, it will not fit the 620 differential housing for the reasons given.

As Matt said the 620 differential is plenty strong

5 godzin temu thisismatt powiedział:
4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

NIE, nie pasuje do obudowy mechanizmu różnicowego 620 z podanych powodów.

Jak powiedział Matt, mechanizm różnicowy 620 jest wystarczająco mocny

It is supposed to be a Datsun 720 with sr20det with a 6 speed gearbox. Will the differential handle it?

6 hours ago, RDMK said:

It is supposed to be a Datsun 720 with sr20det with a 6 speed gearbox. Will the differential handle it?

Don't dump the clutch or do a bunch of wheel-hopping burnouts and it'll be fine.

The weak points are the spider gears...they won't handle a lot of shock loads.

• Like 1