Any other Datsun/Nissan steering wheels fit a 620?

SWFL

The stock 620 wheel is pretty uncomfortable to me due to the small diameter of the rim, along with it being hard plastic. I've gotten used to foam rim steering wheels. I don't like covers, especially the old school ones that use the flat plastic "thread" to weave the cover on. I'm also not a fan of large diameter steering wheels. I don't mind using Armstrong(tm) steering.

If a '79-'80 210 steering wheel will fit a 620, does have a foam or hard plastic rim?

Until I find some old Grant Momo steering wheel clones, what are some decent looking Datsun/Nissan foam rim steering wheels that will fit a 620?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

zvIzLXJ.png

Have always liked the 280zx wheel. Slightly smaller diameter so slightly quicker steering response. Has horn pad in the middle so on turns you don't have to hunt for a spoke button.... I like that. Grip is much larger and plush. Comes in black, brown, blue and red. (my 620 had a 720 dash and eventually a 720 steering column and the wheel fit it also)

While it fits the 620 spline it stands away from the plastic two piece clam shell by almost 1/2". The 620 brass horn contact had to be bent upwards to make contact when the wheel is seated. One other thing the wheel has two what look like roll pins on the under side that cancel the turn signal... they don't reach so I snipped a suitable sized nail and tapped it into the ends of the roll pins to extend them. Everything worked perfectly.

I have NEVER liked any Datsun wheels of the '70s. Japanese must have very small hands because driving in town bruises your hands gripping that hard small coat hanger wire plastic steering wheel.

I think all Datsun and well up into the 80s used this spline. I tried a later 90s wheel and it was smaller. That that same brown zx wheel is on my 710 now.

• Like 2

I like the 5 mounting hole Grant wheels that were a clone of the Momo 5 mounting hole wheels. They used the same bolt spacing, so you could use the same hub adapters.

Is the 620 spline count and shaft size the same as any other manufacturer?

Does anyone know the part number(s) for any of the hubs that fit a 620? I found Grant still makes the old style 3 offset hole type adapter, but the more modern type.

• 2 weeks later...

This is exactly what you are not looking for, but thought I'd post anyway.

From a Datsun Roadster, splines were the same.

Getting that horn button working properly was fun. I think Nissan could have made that more complicated, but they ran out of time and money.

HFcZmdI.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 2/11/2023 at 11:56 AM, SWFL said:

I like the 5 mounting hole Grant wheels that were a clone of the Momo 5 mounting hole wheels. They used the same bolt spacing, so you could use the same hub adapters.

Is the 620 spline count and shaft size the same as any other manufacturer?

Does anyone know the part number(s) for any of the hubs that fit a 620? I found Grant still makes the old style 3 offset hole type adapter, but the more modern type.

Momo is 6 hole mounting, not 5.

On 2/24/2023 at 10:39 AM, silroc said:

This is exactly what you are not looking for, but thought I'd post anyway.

From a Datsun Roadster, splines were the same.

Getting that horn button working properly was fun. I think Nissan could have made that more complicated, but they ran out of time and money.

HFcZmdI.jpg

I like that. Never seen a Roadster wheel used before. Looks cool.