Salvage of a 92 D21

I have posted of wanting to use a 71C transmission. Of course, I want a good transmission for cheap, which makes things difficult.

I have come across a titleless 92 D21 with a low compression non-running KA24E w/71C, the interior, dash, gauges are gone, there is a nice bench seats and four stock Nissan wheels with decent tread.

I wouldn't mind the KA24E, I'm not ready to abandon my "KA24E" the hard way, but if my experiment fails and the Z24E isn't able to provide desired performance/mpg. I could swap the KA24E head onto the Z24E.

The truck is 2wd, so no transfer case.

Would the steering column be tilt? The HF35 rear diff better than what's in my 84 720?

If there is interest in any of the parts? I would sell for cheap. If some of the parts could be sold to offset the cost it could inspire the purchase.

The biggest hurtle is convincing the wife to accept another busted truck in the yard, so I need to get it and strip it fast. As I mentioned, no title, I'm not sure how to scrap it. Doors, windows, bed, tailgate, frame, etc. I don't think salvage yards will take vehicles without titles. Can it be scrapped  with a bill of sale?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look on the engine tag inner passenger side fender under the hood hinge.

buF8TkE.jpg

Bottom right corner. HF 38 is a 3.889 ratio. I think yours will be HF35 for a 3.545

The axle is wider than the 720 so not a good fit but the gears are good for spare..

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Look on the engine tag inner passenger side fender under the hood hinge.

buF8TkE.jpg

Bottom right corner. HF 38 is a 3.889 ratio. I think yours will be HF35 for a 3.545

The axle is wider than the 720 so not a good fit but the gears are good for spare..

Great minds. I have a picture of the door tag. 3.5 is a no-go for my needs. It means another item to sell, if this option materialized.

Contacted 3 salvage yards and the ITD, same answer all 4 times, but the ITD gave a little hint. Bottom line-to scrap it you must have title, bill of sale will not suffice. ITD added, if the scrap is recognizable as the main portions of a vehicle, then must title. When I asked about cutting the truck into little pieces with a sawzall and grinder and selling it for scrap by the pound, the ITD guy wouldn't condone, but didn't deny either. Scrap by the pound will get me $100 for the doors, bed and frame/cab but the frame and cab must be "not recognizable". The windshield and door windows look ok.

Product photo of 1994 Nissan D21 2wd 5-speed PARTS TRUCK

I was afraid of going over msg size so I broke it up. Any parts here tempt Ratsun members? If you were anywhere near you could come and pull for great deals. I can pull but it will be around valentines day before I could ship it. I want the trans, according to the owner the KA24E has low compression. The truck is 2wd. If someone would commit to $400 for everything except trans and could pick it up by the end of Feb. I will buy it, drop the trans and hold the rest.

If its something that interests you but $400 is too much, offer away.  Remember the roughspots. 1. no title 2. getting it to you 3. The delay if I need to pull the parts.

Open photo

2 hours ago, bilzbobaggins said:

Those are my favorite hardbody wheels there.  Yum Yum.

Something needed? Shipping likely kill any deal, but if you need spares? Tires have good tread, I could send a pic with a penny in the tread to verify.

3 hours ago, angliagt said:

So that's where all our snow went that we didn't get.

It is gone now. Rain all week. I wish the winters would come back, not that I love the cold; everything takes longer in the cold, but below zero is no trouble for me and it thins the herd. I can't remember the last time it went below zero, without including windchill in Boise.(Including windchill is fun for bragging rights, but if you stay froze and don't become wet, you're fine.) Back when I was younger, Boise would have a week or two around zero, when I was young in the Eastern part of the State, around zero lasted a month, below zero at least a week. Prolonged cold creates real problems for the unprepared. But, that was when we walked to school uphill both ways, ate old newspapers and dryer lint to survive and were thankful for what we had.

Hollywood (Known for their keen foresight) confuses me on this one. Is the man-made global warming melting the polar ice and turning the planet into WaterWorld or is global warming changing weather patterns bringing the next ice age  like  Day After Tomorrow. National Geographic mixes it all together "(c)limate change is already affecting water access for people around the world, causing more severe droughts and floods. Increasing global temperatures are one of the main contributors to this problem." So, no WaterWorld, water shortage, but heat and floods.

The Hollywood think tank seems in conflict. At least, if it is too hot or too cold, it can be an environmental agenda talking point, same as if too much water or water shortage. Global warming and climate change are used interchangeably, it seems there is a new one "increased global temperatures". Is there a percentage or temp that differentiates between an increased global temperature and global warming and climate change? Well, things do change, maybe their on to something. As long as whitey is blamed--I'm IN. 

• Like 1

Balls in your court on the truck. No title he has trouble getting rid of it. Other than the trans nothing else on that truck "bolts up" to a 720. The KAE will fit with mods but by no means drops in. Offer $100 or a little more for the trans if you pull it. Or $200 for the whole truck but then you will have the fun of getting rid of it. Best to make cash offer in front of his wife if possible. She probably won't let you put your money back in your pocket or bodily block you from your car. It's a dirty trick but effective.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, frankendat said:

Here's a quick one--is the column a tilt column?

Available on VG powered D21s. There is an adjustment lever on the left side.

It's possible that this truck has LSD H-190 as it was an option that year. Look for this sticker under the grime on the 'bum' of the differential...

pC6nd8I.jpg

Some say Use LSD Oil Only

• Like 2
2 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Best to make cash offer in front of his wife if possible. She probably won't let you put your money back in your pocket or bodily block you from your car.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/92/9253c5b2e9520394d06ef32b9764c42b71939dc83beca8333814a4bbed6265ab.jpg