Draining the gas tank on a Datsun 510

Kaji

My 510 has been sitting for a couple of years.  It runs but misses.  I changed the plugs and carburetor and put additives in the tank with the old gas. Still no joy.  I hope the problem is bad gas.  I want to drain the tank and put in new gas to see if it clears up the problem.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sitting in the SoCal desert? Might be bee nests built up in the vents, or anywhere they can fit. I've had to deal with this more times than you'd think.

Either way, I would blow back through the fuel lines and clear out any junk. This modern fuel we have in CA wreaks havoc on older fuel systems, causing buildup and rust to form inside fuel lines, carburetors, filters, etc. Small engines with tiny carburetors are affected the most, but any older carbureted engine falls prey to this new fuel.

• Like 1

Buy a couple of fuel filters and keep in car. Crap (if there is any) will be caught and may plug the one in there. I drove my 710 twenty miles before it quit. Removed the filter and shook the shit out of it. Drove another twenty and quit again. The last twenty and I was home. 

This is what was in the tank when I cleaned it and let settle in a 5 gallon pail...

lRw9ale.jpg

The few rusty gallons that were in the tank a funneled through a new filter and used it, and look how clean it came out.

WGaI7gx.jpg

WGaI7gx.jpg

• Like 1

couple is only 2 years.

does it small like varnish? 510 tanks are inside the car so if no rats got in past the hose I think it would be still clean if car was in a gararge.

I dont no why people let their cars go that long with out running. I try to get mine at least evey 6 months running a few days to work and in winter keep the battery som what charged up

I let my yellow 510 sit for 1.5 years and still was fine. but after that I got gas conditioner or siphoned out the gas and put it in the lawn mower and it was fine in there.

• Like 1

If it is a Sedan (not a Wagon), the drain plug is on the bottom of the RIGHT SIDE of the tank.  There is a large rubber body plug right below it.  Pull the rubber plug from underneath, pull the drain plug.................BUT be prepared, as it makes a real mess!!  If there are chunks of rust coming out, you should plan on pulling the tank & having it professionally cleaned, then perhaps having it "sealed" inside.  If you need a replacement Sedan tank (sorry, no good Wagon tanks), I should have a good one, but shipping will be expensive, cuz of bulk (not really heavy, just BIG!).  You can thank our "administration" for the high shipping costs these days!!  FJB 😑

• Like 2

Politics aside, after about 6 months, gas loses it's combustibility due to oxidization and evaporation. It's likely the car could use a bit of maintenance, but I'll bet that draining and refilling with fresh premium gas will fix your problem.

• Like 1

It might but you guys have strange gas down there. I have a gallon container for my weed eater and it lasts between 3 and 5 years. It sits out doors on the ground under shed roof cover. I top the tank up in the fall and in the spring 3 pulls and away I go. It rains a lot and often does go below freezing. The gas in my 710 is from summer 2020 and I have no doubt it will fire up and run with no problems. Hell I bought a 620 box with the tank attached. It sat in the wrecking yard for 5? years, three of those without a gas cap because I took it. Had 5 gallons in it I poured it out and right into my 620 and drove it without any problems whatever. The gas up here is 87 with up to 10% ethanol.

Just drive it and use up the gas in it. It's the simplest, cheapest, easiest (perhaps laziest) thing to do. It'll end up being old wires or cap and rotor, something ignition electrical..