Guide to Datsun Part Numbers

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Way back a long time ago, let's call it the late 1980's, I found myself working in a Nissan parts department. Part of the training process was to learn the information discussed in the above link. Of course, back then we had to use this thing they called a book to learn from.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, KELMO said:

Way back a long time ago, let's call it the late 1980's, I found myself working in a Nissan parts department. Part of the training process was to learn the information discussed in the above link. Of course, back then we had to use this thing they called a book to learn from.

For a while after I got out of the service, I was working at a Chevrolet Parts Dept at a dealer.  I remember the parts book about 4-5ft of counter space.  There was a lot of training involved to do that at a Chevrolet dealer.  Today, not so much...

• Like 2

Oh, there is a boatload of training at dealerships still to this day (I did a Chevy stint once as well), it just has fuckall to do with how to look up parts. And hasn't for about the past 25-30 years.

My first dealership was MB, Porsche, Audi. We also had a long ass counter with parts books and price books. Just before I started, they had started to use microfiche machines.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, KELMO said:

Oh, there is a boatload of training at dealerships still to this day (I did a Chevy stint once as well), it just has fuckall to do with how to look up parts. And hasn't for about the past 25-30 years.

My first dealership was MB, Porsche, Audi. We also had a long ass counter with parts books and price books. Just before I started, they had started to use microfiche machines.

At the Chevy dealer, I remember struggling to learn the group numbers, and the car codes.  The only thing I remember off the top of my head was AZ was a Monte Carlo...

As far as jobs go, this one was pretty-much BS free.  I worked the back counter and only dealt with the mechanics.  Every one of them came up and said they were losing their ass on every job, but they were all pretty cool...

• Like 1

In high school,my counselor,who seemed that he actually cared about things,

got me a 2 week training "job" at the local Datsun dealer,working in the parts department.

He kept track of everything on 3X5 cards,& seemed very efficient at his job,but was very

anal in doing it.I was told that the parts department made more profit than any other there.

The parts manager offered me a job there,but I passed as I don't think I could have

taken working with him,but we still remain friends to this day.

• Like 1

I would disagree with that having worked dealership parts departments for 35+ years with 20+ as the manager. Maybe 5 or 6 of those years were non Nissan. The standard markup is 60%. That being said, some of the lower priced items do have a better mark up or the dealer will add a matrixed price to them. Higher dollar items will sometimes have a lower % of markup..but not much lower.

In the scenario of the part being $100.00 and the dealer making $50.00, the $50.00 would be the gross profit. Once you pay the employees out of that $50.00, you have about $36.00 left to pay rent, utilities, insurance, taxes, and the list goes on.

• Like 1
On 11/15/2022 at 6:32 AM, datzenmike said:

Checking my price lists for parts 60% mark up is more correct. A $63 dollar part is $100. Have some parts at 67% and there may be higher, certainly there may be some lower but I stand corrected at around 60%

woah wait a minute 

am i sure 

did i hear that you were wrong 

WTF LOL 🤣 🤣

Edited by Ranman72
  • Haha 2