• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Gibraltar, hecho en china?

20 hours ago, Ooph! said:

Is it broken? what would you want to know?

The Gibraltar has promise. I am looking for a manual/parts diagram and/or spare parts seller, as Ooph! deduced mine is broken. I was surprised at the prices for self centering six jaw chucks, they are LESS than I recall. (having not chuck shopped in a decade+) Heavy steel precise parts used to be high dollar items.

Anyway, the independent four jaw, that is the go to, is giving problems and the self centering six jaw has been on the shelf for many years. Spun it up and found out how Dad acquired it for next to nothing. There are pieces missing from one of the scrolls on the "scroll plate" (my term). So, a new scroll plate is needed. I would like to disassemble to clean and inspect, for other damage, but disassembling precision parts with out instructions or videos has provided me with boxes of fine scrap metal.

If this six jaw is a no-go, I will mess with the four jaw, which likely just needs cleaning.(Redneck engineering the six jaw is another option and another proven method for maintaining the availability of scrap steel.) 

I threw it up here to avoid the interrogation of any machine shop.

"How'd you bust it?"

"Why'd you bust it?"

"Why'd you buy it?"

etc....

appears you're missing the brass medallion on the face or that's a bad program from being in a cnc mill. 

Could be made by Bison. That empty medallion space is usually where Bison has a sticker or brass medal. 

Edited by Mattndew76
57 minutes ago, Mattndew76 said:

6 jaw Bison.jpg

6 jaw.jpg

I was looking at that blank spot as a potential identifying mark, as well. The jaws on mine are not mounted with bolts/screws, they are held in place by grooves on the sides of the "jaw channels" (my term) and by "feet" (my term) that ride in the "scroll plate" (my term) If I locate a manufacturer/ owners manual for my chuck I will stop using "my terms:)

Is that your chuck?

4 hours ago, thisismatt said:

I suggested Gibraltar as it looked similar without any bolts on the face of the chuck

And I thank you for it. I looked up Gibraltar straight away and liked that it had the "circle mark" (my term) in the right place. According to my Google the six jaw Gibraltar is no longer in production. I was unable to confirm any of the specs or find manuals for it. Since my initial search new terms and knowledge have sharpened my GoogleFu and it may warrant further investigation

4 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

I had this guy make me some bushings,they were perfect for my Honda HRR216 mower.He might know what you need.His email is 737mechanic@hotmail.com

Great lead! I will email him this weekend (Unless question is answered, which will be posted in this thread)

4 minutes ago, frankendat said:

Thank you, datrod hasn't visited Ratsun in a while and has a wild stat card for a "Newbe", but I will be happy for the information where ever it originates.

Hes on FB regularly. He owned his own machine shop.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Mattndew76 said:

None of those are my chucks. 

Bison and Shars make solid scroll jaws or 2 piece jaws. 

I have a 6" Bison 3 jaw self centering scroll chuck. I also have a 6"  Bison 4 jaw self center scroll chuck with 2 piece jaws.p

I hear good things about Bison products. My father is skeptical of the tolerances afforded scroll chucks and prefers dialing in independent jaws on four jaw chucks. I brought in the six jaw scrolling with the proposition that it could come close to his independent jaw and it's busted.....

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, frankendat said:

I've sent him two and they both bounced back. Any way to confirm this email?Sorry frankendat.I gave you the wrong email.It is 737mechanic@gmail.com.His name is Chris Newkirk.You can tell him that he made some Honda lawn mower bushings for me back in Sept. 17,2022 for 25 bucks and you seen his video of the lathe he used.Sorry again..

On 10/31/2022 at 1:43 PM, Thomas Perkins said:

All is good. I am thankful for the contact information. Found some help on Facebook, enough to get the chuck operational within 10 thousandths. Not machinists grade, but enough to finish a steering adapter for a tractor (current thing to be done). Damn, there is bull on the book of faces, had at least a dozen replies about chucks and lathes and such, telling me I outta do this or outta do that, but try to nail somebody down on my main (and only) question--identity-- and there is a whole bushel of nothing. Fuckin' posers.

• Like 1