Thank You!

Just want to say thank you to everyone for all the invaluable knowledge shared on this site. Successfully dropped my first engine a l20b in my 81 Datsun 720 without needing to ask a single question on here. Most everything has been asked before lol. Looking forward to what the future has in store for ratsun.net. Cheers! 

• Like 6
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy howdy 🤣

Only way I found this post again was by typing my name into the member search and clicking the one post I have. No other means of notifications? Not the biggest deal just think I’m missing something I guess. 

I gotta read the image posting thread again and I’ll post tonight hopefully. You all are too funny. Looking forward to the flames

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Dat720kid said:

Only way I found this post again was by typing my name into the member search and clicking the one post I have. No other means of notifications? Not the biggest deal just think I’m missing something I guess. 

In the upper right-hand corner, click on your user name, go to your profile and you should be able to see your recent content.

Say, about them pics....

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, KELMO said:

In the upper right-hand corner, click on your user name, go to your profile and you should be able to see your recent content.

Say, about them pics....

Ah, thanks for that. I use Brave as a web browser and that icon seems to be chopped off. I can click it but didn’t even notice it was there it’s so small. Either way that works. Pics tonight. Away from home currently. 

• Like 1

I checked and you should be getting notifications when you are quoted or there is a 'like' on your posted comments.

These notifications will be sent whenever someone mentions you or interacts with content you have posted.

These notifications will be sent whenever someone reacts to content you have posted.

You can also got to General Discussion and quickly scan down through those posts to find yours.

28 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I checked and you should be getting notifications when you are quoted or there is a 'like' on your posted comments.

These notifications will be sent whenever someone mentions you or interacts with content you have posted.

These notifications will be sent whenever someone reacts to content you have posted.

You can also got to General Discussion and quickly scan down through those posts to find yours.

Yes it totally works fine. However Brave web browser seems to chop off half the icon on the top right. At least for mobile. Didnt notice I had notifications it was so cut off. Web browser fault not a site fault. Thanks for checking!

Also since making a profile I didn’t know there were three tabs on the left side cause they are the same color as the background photo. Not a big deal now that I know they are there. 

LTsaNOk.jpeg

Your one way valve is missing between intake and brake booster. If engine stalls while driving the vacuum in the booster will leak out and no braking assist..

Never seen a Weber on backwards before. Is it the intake?

Points? Where's the matchbox distributor?

43 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

LTsaNOk.jpeg

Your one way valve is missing between intake and brake booster. If engine stalls while driving the vacuum in the booster will leak out and no braking assist..

Never seen a Weber on backwards before. Is it the intake?

Points? Where's the matchbox distributor?

Also it just seemed to make more sense having the carb on this way. Throttle linkage works better IMO. Fuel I have coming in the back as well. Easier to get to idle screw. Been thinking. Does it matter what way? With a 32/36 I would think possibly 2 cylinders would be extra rich. I have a 38/38 just waiting to put the lumpier cam and valve springs in before that. 

Your thoughts appreciated!

8 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Change in idle when stepping on brake could be a vacuum leak in the booster.

Carburetor will work either way.

Look low on the head between plugs #! and #2 for the head ID. Is it a U67? or W58??

U67. What makes you ask? I’ll have to do the one way and verify after. Starting and rolling out the garage I could stop but not very easy. Then thumping on the brakes quickly makes the idle go all sorts of weird. Brakes were working before with the same booster. But I also removed it to paint the engine bay and put big brake kit on so I could of broke it but tried to be ginger with it.

The '80 720 was the only L series engine used and the last year for this. Was thinking that this was an '80 engine in an '81. '78-'80 L20Bs used W58 heads so this might be a '75-'77 engine.

Pump the brakes several times to exhaust any residual vacuum. Depress and hold brake. Start engine. What you should notice is the pedal will drop towards the floor slightly. It's working.

Assuming that is the original distributor, look on the side for a 10 digit part number. The first 5 are 22100-(need these) I caan look up what it was used on. If you are curious.

I’m thankful for whatever knowledge you want to share. Love learning about these trucks. I believe they guy I bought this engine from was out of a 1977 620. The distributor I have in there currently is number D4a2-01 407A. This one actually gives me correcting timing and doesn’t misfire all the time. The one that I had on there when I got it is D4A4-07 6902 22100 B8001. That one sits in with rotor 180 degree opposite of the one that works fine. Number one spark wire with the distributor that works is at the front of the engine. The one that misfires and poops out all the time is facing towards the back of the engine. Both will fire and idle just one works and the other doesn’t. Engine set at tdc and oil drive gear is in the correct orientation. 

32 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The '80 720 was the only L series engine used and the last year for this. Was thinking that this was an '80 engine in an '81. '78-'80 L20Bs used W58 heads so this might be a '75-'77 engine.

Pump the brakes several times to exhaust any residual vacuum. Depress and hold brake. Start engine. What you should notice is the pedal will drop towards the floor slightly. It's working.

Assuming that is the original distributor, look on the side for a 10 digit part number. The first 5 are 22100-(need these) I caan look up what it was used on. If you are curious.

https://imgur.com/a/Vm83Tl1

also has a “ISO” in a circle on it