85 Nissan 720 4x4 Temperature gauge.

Thomas Perkins

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah,I always did it that way.Their is a notch on top and you align the jiggle with that.But if thermostat was not opening,wouldn't it run hot.Was not showing signs of running hot,but my needle on my temp. gauge was going lower when it maxed out.Just a third of the way up, and just staying there.Usually it would go over half,thermostat would open then go just a hair under half way.it started gradually getting lower and lower but it did not effect the way it ran.The spark plugs are real clean and the insulators are white.Coolant was not leaking anywhere.Too late now,but I should of took thermostat out and see what happened.Coolant was fairly new.When ever I put a new belt on my alternator and get it tight,I get a black magic marker and make a straight line across the alternator bracket and alternator to let me know that the belt has not lost tension in time.like a gauge..I also at times press it to check.I check my engine bay about every day.Anything out of place,I will see it.I also watch as all belts turn when idling.Sometimes,I push the throttle with hand to see.Also why does my water pump inlet have fresh scrap marks on it.Could it be that the seals on the water pump are bad and causing this.The old scrap marks are from the water pump that I took out in 2020,I put that one in 2009.What causes the scrap marks on our water pump inlet.If the seals go back,will it still let the pulley turn but not the propellers.I had one squeal on me,that is why I put the one on in 2020.

Edited by Thomas Perkins

Thermostats wear out. Just replaced the thermostats, yes plural they take 2 on my duramax diesel. They didn't allow the engine up to regular operating temperature, then would allow the temp to climb higher than usual under load. I replaced them and the engine hits operating temp much faster and doesn't climb at all. I am thinking about throwing a fresh one in the ka since that was such a vast improvement. Ka does same thing. Long to warm up, cools when the heat is turned on and climbs a little under load. An operating thermostat should do none of that.

Wow,Stoffregen.You are so right.That was a good find.I just looked up the Autozone repair guides and it has a perfect picture of it and the dowel pin is across from  the other.When I cleaned the seal and got the gasket off of it,it had sealant in the dowel pin hole.I will go check it out now.How can I fix it.The dowel pin must of been gone for a while since it had sealant in the hole.I am now looking at the water pump.That dowel pin hole is small.Does that mean with no dowel pin and a real tight belt, that was causing the pump to move over and scrub.So does that mean my water pump is good.All the scrub marks are on the left side.

0900c1528004f1e4.gif

Edited by Thomas Perkins

This dowel pin might have been gone for sometime.I replaced the water pump in 2020 cause it was squealing.The one before then was in 2009.The  dowel pin might have fell out when I replaced this one in 2009.It lasted 86,000 miles.I put new belts on it  not long ago and had them super tight and gradually it started doing this in 2009..But any way.I went out and checked it out and this is what I found.The dowel pin is gone.It did not break off.I did the measurements and the hole is a 1/2 inch deep and the hole  is 3/16 inch wide.On the other dowel pin,it sticks out 3/16 of a inch and the end is beveled..So how do it fix this.I will still put the new water pump in when it comes in.I need a dowel pin 11/16 inch or longer by 3/16 inch wide.Any ideas how to fix this.That explains why it was hard to put on cause the other dowel pin was gone and wouldn't help hold it on at the beginning on putting it on.It also shows it on the Nissan page.

86605e0c51065061556e6dd6b694baed.png

Edited by Thomas Perkins
44 minutes ago, Thomas Perkins said:

This dowel pin might have been gone for sometime.I replaced the water pump in 2020 cause it was squealing.The one before then was in 2009.The  dowel pin might have fell out when I replaced this one in 2009.It lasted 86,000 miles.I put new belts on it  not long ago and had them super tight and gradually it started doing this in 2009..But any way.I went out and checked it out and this is what I found.The dowel pin is gone.It did not break off.I did the measurements and the hole is a 1/2 inch deep and the hole  is 3/16 inch wide.On the other dowel pin,it sticks out 3/16 of a inch and the end is beveled..So how do it fix this.I will still put the new water pump in when it comes in.I need a dowel pin 11/16 inch or longer by 3/16 inch wide.Any ideas how to fix this.That explains why it was hard to put on cause the other dowel pin was gone and wouldn't help hold it on at the beginning on putting it on.It also shows it on the Nissan page.

86605e0c51065061556e6dd6b694baed.png

Engine is metric.

• Like 1

Cool.I just called my Nissan Part buddies.They still have those in stock at their closest Warehouse and I ordered 6 of them.Yes,they are metric,I used my basic standard tape measure when I measured them.They said they will be here tomorrow.So my pump and the dowel pins will be here the same day.I got very lucky on that.Also Thanks so much.Mr.Stroffengen.You saved me a big long term head ache.I owe you.So if anyone ever needs some,make a note on the part number.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1

Hey Bottomwatcher.Nissan uses standard measurements.Click on this site then stroll down to see. But it may say inches but it look's metric. We make printing plates at work and use metric but we use whole numbers,no decimals,cause the printing presses are metric.NoT made in the U.S.A.https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-dowel-cover~11046-73402.html?vin=&make=Nissan&model=720 Pickup&year=1985&submodel=&extra1=&extra2=&filter=(1=K%2fCAB;2=Z24;3=DX;4=F5;5=LONG;6=4WD;7=FED)

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1

I always have uncommon stuff go wrong with my 720 and most people do not believe me.I knew it was something odd.I've had my 720 for 28 years.I have put many water pumps on this and AutoZone's are good.You can ask many people about a problem and get many different ideas.It took the eyes of someone to see the problem.It was not from someone having the same problem.This is good because now we know what else can cause a water pump problem.I never did know that there are 2 dowel pins that keep it from moving.So everyone that has scuff marks might want to check your dowel pins.Also,on my Weber having a slight idle problem.That leak was the problem.Since I fixed the leak,it idles perfect.Sometimes you have to experience it to see the problem..Theories are not always right.If Stoffregen would of not seen the problem,another water pump would of not fixed it.Also ya'll with the low temp reading on your gauge.You might be missing a pin too.Also the tight belt did cause it to move the pump.I was right.So does too much tension on a belt cause a dowel pin to come loose.We will never know.A lot of tension on the belt  may put a lot of tension on the whole part toward the alternator,and in time weakening that right dowel pin,it does not stick out much and the dowel pin that is missing is the one with the most force on it.If you look at Napa's Water Pump,it look's like Autozone's.So are some water pumps really better than other's.You will get a million different idea's on this. 

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1

hqga5b4.jpgOk Mike.But any way my Dowel pins came in today from the Nissan dealer here.I got 6 for 15.24 with tax.My Auto Zone water pump was lost in space so I got a refund.Then I went to OR'eilly's and got a life time warranty one.It will be ready for pickup in the morning.I could of took home a year warranty one but rather pay more and get the better warranty.The dowel pin was not in this water pump or the engine cause silicone was in the dowel pin holes.I used a pick to get the silicone out of the dowel hole.It only had one dowel pin in it in 2020 also cause when put the last pump in it  I remember that it would not stay in place when I was putting it on..My friend that is a Saleman at the Nissan Dealer said they only have 6 brand new Nissan Car's. .Also said that is more than any other Nissan Dealer around our area.I was asking about the new 400 Nissan. They had more New Nissan Truck's but people around here like Toyota's better.He said the reason was cause of the shortage of chips.Got these less than a day.Came from Greenville,South Carolina.The dealer here use to keep GTR's and 370 Nismo's In the show room.

20220913_171029.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1

Today was something.I got my pump from OR'eilly's and it was made in China.I checked it out before I left the store to make sure it had a gasket.It did with 4 small bolts and washers in a little bag.It had one long bolt in the pump that stays in there.The Auto Zone pump had one long bolt and 2 short bolts that can not come out.Our pumps have another long bolt and another long one the same size that holds the alternator bracket and 3 metal vacuum lines on.So I guess the 2 extra short bolts and washers were for where the long bolts go.Wonder why they  thought of that.So I got my dowel pin and put in the hole..It sticks out more than the other one..After I got the silicone and gasket on.I had to get the 2 short bolts and washers and put it in the pump holes,Auto Zone pump is better cause these bolts can't fall out like these did.Then I had to take the power steering pulley off cause it was in the way of the little bolt.My hands didn't have any room.So I got the Nissan long bolt and put in in the hole and screwed it in so it will help hold the pump in so I can get them little bolts started.Guess what,it would not screw all the way in.So the hole  area where the bolt goes in should of been fatter.If I would of tried to tighten it more,the bolt would of broke in the hole.My first thought was.Take the pump back.Auto Zone did call today and my wife said they told her I had 2 pumps come in.I done got my money back and gave them the old one yesterday.So I took the long Nissan bolt out and got 2 lock washers and put on bolt and screwed it in and it tighten it up.I did put silicone over the dowel pin holes,hope that will keep it from popping out.So I got the China junk on my Nissan and  put the alternator bracket on and the power steering pulley back on and went and ate super.I had stuffed bell peppers.So when you buy a pump,you never know what your getting unless you spend over 200 and get a Nissan one.This pump does have a lifetime warranty.Even the propellers are different.Tomorrow,I will put the bottom radiator hose on and bolt up the alternator to the bracket.Then bolt up the fan.Put the lower radiator hose on the engine and put the fan shroud over the fan and get the radiator in place.Them 2 bottom bolts will be a pain to get started.Then screw the fan stroud and put both belts back on and tighten and put bottom radiator hose back on and get tie wraps to secure the bottom radiator hose by the battery to keep from hitting the fan and bottom of shroud.Put battery back in and connect and add fluid and connect over flow hose.Fill radiator up and start and hope the temperature gauge goes to where it suppose to and thermostat opens and air comes out and I will add anti freeze then put radiator cap on and road test.

Lifetime guarantee isn't worth much if you replace it 6 times. Get stranded at 11:30 on rainy night (outside town, gettin' crack in the ghetto, driving wife to delivery room... pick one) and are towed home. $$$$$....... but hey, it took 6 days of waiting but I outlasted them and they had to replace the pump for free. Whooohooo!!!!! 

• Like 2

Worth every penny.I never been stranded.Been in my Nissan for 28 years.Ghetto,Mike,No Ghetto around here.That's what roadside insurance is for my friend.I can wait,I have another ride.Life time,means more money to buy other things.But any way Mike.Life is good here in Georgia,going to fire up the grill tomorrow and do some steaks,potatoes,salad,bread, tea and strawberry short cake.My 720 is back to normal.I've had a new engine put in,a new transmission,a new heating and air system,hit 3 deer.All this took more than 6 days.Also a new paint job,that took a while,but I bet  you won't find a better 720 than mine.And It has 381,000 miles on it which means it's always dependable.Someone with low mileage means they can't keep it running.A smart man knows how to work the system.Just one trip,and that was to pick up my new free pump.I have a cell phone.This is my other ride.It's a 2004 Lincoln ls. This has a 6 disc c.d. changer which means i can put 6 Pink FLoyd c.d's in it.,has 155,000 miles on it,drives nicer than my 720,and it look's new like my 85 720'. I put a new radiator in it not that long ago.Lifetime warranty.Factory parts are not always better.My heating and air is not factory,as you know it is junk,got me a custom made one.My rims are not factory.My 720 is one of a kind,redone by me.Nissan should of hired me back in the day.720's Would of been way better.Their carbs are junk.After market is the way to go.Stay behind if you want.Shine on ya'll.... Let me see someone find a new heater core...SPN6gNU.jpg.

100_9561.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1

Aisin pump if you can find one. That being said so many knock off parts. I bought these knock sensors knowing they were fakes even though they said real authentic from Japan on the side. The price was too good to be true but I wanted to give them a try. Box looked good but the same cheap chinese knock sensors inside. I get about 1.5 years out them and they are super cheap so I just roll them.

20220916_120114.jpg

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, bottomwatcher said:

Aisin pump if you can find one. That being said so many knock off parts. I bought these knock sensors knowing they were fakes even though they said real authentic from Japan on the side. The price was too good to be true but I wanted to give them a try. Box looked good but the same cheap chinese knock sensors inside. I get about 1.5 years out them and they are super cheap so I just roll them.

20220916_120114.jpg

I mean, that's just plain fraud. Who does this?

• Like 1

Yeah,I've been down that road cause I coudn't find anything else.It's a gamble but you have to try sometimes if you can't find it anywhere else.I bought a Asian wiper pump and container and it didn't last a year,but that is all that is out there.I've spent a lot in 28 years on my 720,but when I bought it in 94,the dealer still had a lot of parts.I even bought a new hood insulator from Nissan,I think it was over 200 bucks,lasted not even 2 years,so I made my own and it's been on their for 8 years.All Nissan parts are not better..Here is my hood insulation I got from Ebay.Got the clips to hold it from this site.They are good. Also have bought a bunch of new Nissan fusible links,still have a brand new spare.Can't get them no more.See my new a.c. hoses going across the firewall,the old junk use to go across the engine. Bought a high pressure power steering hose from NAPA over 20 years ago,and it's still going strong.Nissan had them back then,but they wanted,200 bucks.I put a new Nissan exhaust manifold on it long ago,it was 212.00 bucks.I got a leak,just put another non Nissan on it.All my outside lens/ lights are brand new,all non Nissan. Did that when I had it painted.New front grill put on when it was painted.New non Nissan horns.New Nissan passenger and rear view mirror.new non Nissan weather stripping.2 things that are original,distributor,oil pump. new valve cover,new oil dip stick,new hood release cable. New yoke.Bed linear is original.New back glass weatherstripping.I could go on and on.https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Default.aspvk63Yzj.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins