A new dime admirer eying a potential fixer-upper...

Ashenfox

How do you do fellow children? ๐Ÿ™‚ I currently have a 350Z but it's getting a bit tired and I need another project car. I started looking around for a 510 and I think I found my car, it needs a lot of restoration, has very little rust, mechanically sound and is going for a reasonable price. The caveat, it's a leaf sprung '72.

My goal is SR20DE(maybe T later, we'll see), independent suspension all around and generally a little vintage sleeper. So in general is a leaf sprung '72 a good base or should I look for an independent from the get-go? Would it be an act of sacrilege to change the leaves for indie? I do plan to drive it sideways some, so should I consider keeping the straight axle?

Hi, well met and thanks in advance for any opinions. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 2
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would love to see some pics of the rear axle and suspension layout. Solid axle cars are a blast to drive, and while they may not work as well when compared to the same vehicle as new with IRS, it is possible to make it work. I would actually prefer a solid axle in the rear of a 510. So many variables with the IRS. A solid axle removes a lot of those variables.

ย 

Couple things to consider:

-Ride height. Can you get it low enough with the leaf springs?

-Axle wrap. How many leaves are in the stock spring pack? If it does have axle wrap, there are ways to cure it.

-Lateral axle movement. Might want to install a panhard bar. Done right, it will give the added bonus of now being able to adjust your roll center.

• Like 2

Thanks fellers, and yes! I noticed that all the Greek examples were 1.4s! (I'm British but living here for over 20 years).

I was a bit hesitant to post the pics thinking someone might snipe the car, but honestly, how many people in greece who are ready to 'buy-to-restore' right now are gonna be looking here? ๐Ÿ˜„ย Even if I just posted the pics, they've all got a watermark of the site, so it wouldn't change much. Here ya go ๐Ÿ™‚

https://www.car.gr/classifieds/cars/view/320944997-nissan-datsun#bigger-photos

At least this allows me to straight up ask now, what do you guys think of it regardless of my plans. To my eyes (I've had a few cars, but I'm no expert), it looks a bit rough but fundamentally good. The current owner is driving it from time to time.

There are no 2-doors here at all by the way :sadge:

• Like 1

I'm on the 4 door bandwagon too. 2 doors are cool, but I prefer the 4 door.

Looking at that rear suspension it looks like they used the same setup as the wagon. If you do an image search of 510s on rotisseries, you can see the underside of a sedan with independent suspension. It is very different that the solid axle setup and looks like a lot of fabrication to convert it. A solid axle would work just as well. A lot of sports cars had solid axles and they handled well. Stoffregen had some good points to consider. Definitely look into traction bars and a sway bar for the rear.

• Like 1

Thanks for the pointers folks, I'll give it some thought. They don't come up often here, and when they do they tend to be pricy, there's another one available but they're asking 12k US for it, of course it is in flawlessly restored condition, and it would truly be sacrilege to start cutting it up for more power and a better stance, so I guess I'll just keep looking for now ๐Ÿ˜„

ย 

This one...ย https://www.car.gr/classifieds/cars/view/323799247-nissan-datsun

• Like 1
2 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I always liked the old Mercedes w114/115ย  like 1970 to 1976ย  they look like big 510s plus alot ezer to get parts in your area

ย 

https://www.pinterest.es/pin/407294360037644832/

Good point. I've always wanted to build a red pig.

ย 

image.png.680d2b771680fc4b5fad712577cc2924.png

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Ashenfox said:

It's independent, I'm sure, though it doesn't state it.

ย 

I must say I'm tempted to make them a lower cash offer and see what happens, but I would definitely feel guilty modding such a well sorted car.

Cash talks. Walk in there with $9500 and show it to them.

You can overcome any ride height issues. New custom springs are easily obtainable. Or mix and match leaves to get the ride height and spring rate correct. At the very least, lowering blocks will drop it.

ย 

One other major benefit to the solid axle is no more half shafts. The stock half shafts are notorious for causing vibrations. And I've had them come apart on me at speed. Massive amounts of sheetmetal damage.

I assume you can get uprated half shafts? I don't think I want to break the mold, I'll hang on for an IRS version, really appreciate all the feedback, exactly what I needed. I won't be doing the fab myself, just the smaller bits, so that kinda makes the decision.

• Like 1
On 8/3/2022 at 9:13 AM, Ashenfox said:

Thanks fellers, and yes! I noticed that all the Greek examples were 1.4s! (I'm British but living here for over 20 years).

I was a bit hesitant to post the pics thinking someone might snipe the car, but honestly, how many people in greece who are ready to 'buy-to-restore' right now are gonna be looking here? ๐Ÿ˜„ย Even if I just posted the pics, they've all got a watermark of the site, so it wouldn't change much. Here ya go ๐Ÿ™‚

https://www.car.gr/classifieds/cars/view/320944997-nissan-datsun#bigger-photos

At least this allows me to straight up ask now, what do you guys think of it regardless of my plans. To my eyes (I've had a few cars, but I'm no expert), it looks a bit rough but fundamentally good. The current owner is driving it from time to time.

There are no 2-doors here at all by the way :sadge:

ย 

Looks decent!ย  If you need any body rust repair patch panels, look no further than www.kfvintagejdm.com!ย  We use his 240Z patch panels & they are MUCH better than any of the other panels on the market!ย  He will have those rear 1/4 patch panels!ย  He manufactures them in South America & ships worldwide right from his manufacturing plant.

ย 

If you want to learn more about the leaf spring rear suspension, all of the 1968-1972 510 Wagons had the leaf springs, so research the Wagons!ย  The same basic modifications should apply to the Sedan leaf spring set up (all of our USA spec Sedan's had the IRS).ย  There have been a few Wagon's converted to IRS here in the States..............I have a local buddy that did it.ย  He bought a complete rear Sedan IRS from me AND the Sedan complete rear seat floor section, cuz it has the mounting points for the IRS.ย  He cut, modified, fabricated & welded it all himself, but it was a BIG PROJECT!ย  Not for the faint of heart & NOT cheap to pay somebody to do it!ย  I can't imagine what it would cost you to SHIP IN all of those parts to Greece, cuz very bulky & quite heavy!ย  Ouch!ย  ๐Ÿ˜†