Clutch issues on my 1977 Datsun 620 pick up

Last night driving my 77 620 king cab I started having trouble shifting into gear. By the end of my drive I would press the clutch peddle down to the floor with no pressure at all and would have to force it into gear. Shifting into first it would automatically stall without hitting the gas or releasing the clutch so I would have to give it gas before forcing it into gear 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Start with checking the clutch hydraulics, master and slave cylinders.  If you truly have no pressure when pressing the pedal, you either have no fluid or no sealing in the cylinders.  Equals no movement at the clutch so no disengagement.

• Like 1

Like Iceman said

Most times its the Master usually the slave that leaks over time and looses fluid.  Slave is exposed to dirt and water and is prone  to fail first. But one should look at the back of the master inside in case of a leak there.

sometimes just bleeding the clutch system will fix it. (youtube)

My 510 the slave would go out and I would start in fist gear and if one does it correctly you can upshift all the way to 4th gear. But no down shifting.

just give is slight gas then let off and put in next gear.

• Like 1

Most likely...Top up the reservoir. Pump a few times and it will probably be fine. If not bleed the system.

Possibly the slave has failed and why the reservoir is dry. If you never check and top it up this can happen over time. If you check regularly and it suddenly goes dry, look for wetness at the slave. Only fix it to rebuild or replace.

8 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Like Iceman said

Most times its the Master usually the slave that leaks over time and looses fluid.  Slave is exposed to dirt and water and is prone  to fail first. But one should look at the back of the master inside in case of a leak there.

My 510 the slave would go out and I would start in fist gear and if one does it correctly you can upshift all the way to 4th gear. But no down shifting.

you can also downshift with no clutch 

it is a bit more tricky but you have to take it out of gear and put slight pressure toward the lower gear 

give the gas pedal a quick blip up in RPM and the shifter should pop in gear 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Like Iceman said

You can bleed the system and see if that helps.

Like Hainz says you will see a leek under the dash where the rod goes through the firewall if the master is leaking. 
There will be fluid all over the slave if it is leaking, especially after bleeding.

I show how to bleed the clutch by yourself at the beginning of this video (shameless youtube plug : )
It's easy to reach the slave from the front unless you are slammed.