Gauge electrical issue

ttyR2

So the twins got their licenses and one gets to drive the 521. He's digging it so far (we'll see if that lasts, or he decides he wants more creature comforts).

Everything works great on the truck except for an electrical issue where the fuel gauge and temp gauge occasionally go to zero. Everything else still works when this happens. Turn signals, heater fan, headlights.

I cleaned the connections at the fuse box. I've been unable to find a wiring schematic. I found a thumbnail of one in google but the page it's linked to is broken.

I also noticed the ignition switch is fairly warm after driving it for a bit. Wondering if it should be replaced.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only the gas and temperature gauges. The voltage regulator provides an 8v to both gauges. This prevents the gauges reading high when engine is running and making 14.4 charging volts and reading low when idling at 13v or 12.6v when ignition off. 

The lamps in the cluster are notoriously dim.  You can replace them with LED's if you want.  Here's a PDF wiring diagram, but be aware that it won't match your 72 exactly, as there were small changes/updates that happened over the years.  I've never seen one that had *everything* shown.

https://www.objext.com/521 Stuff/521_Datsun_Truck_US Eletrical.pdf

One sure way to brighten things up is to remove the bulbs and clean them. You may also be able to find the same style bulbs in a higher wattage. When reinstalling the bulb holders into the cluster, twist them back and forth a bit to help clean the contact strip.

Also, i don't think there is a dimmer on the 521, but if there is, they usually work by adding resistance to the ground side of the circuit. These switches can get dirty internally and cause even more resistance, causing dimmer dash lights.

after driving my 91 and 92 toyota pick up. for the last year

I woudnt give a 521 to a young driver. They better lean t o drive no more than 5mph above the sped limit and give lots of room to stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was risking my life the whole time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  single master cylinder.

i alwasy carry spare brake fluid. the chinese master cylinder dont last more than 5 years

clutch master and slave also if chinese but still some Jap Nabco brand out there if one can fine

3 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I woudnt give a 521 to a young driver. They better lean t o drive no more than 5mph above the sped limit and give lots of room to stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was risking my life the whole time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  single master cylinder.

This is what leads parents of new drivers to buy their kids new cars. A conundrum for sure.

My daughter is going to start driving in our '06 Scion xB, but then graduate to my '77 Jeep Cherokee or maybe a Jeep TJ. None of these are "safe" by today's standards, but I ain't buying her a new car.

My first car was a 510 and it tried to kill me every day! But it also made me a better driver.

• Like 1