The blue Wagon

I just hold my breath :)

Duke why are mig welders for trailers?

haha, I'm just not a fan of "mud guns". I've seen alot of guys that can MIG weld really well, but I can still lay a better looking bead on the TIG welder. Pretty much any situation where somebody would use a MIG welder, TIG would be better...smaller, better looking weld, more control over penetration, ability to weld all types of metal...the list goes on.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ya, like you might have one just before New Year's day so you can 'quit' smoking the next year! :D

Yep :D

haha, I'm just not a fan of "mud guns". I've seen alot of guys that can MIG weld really well, but I can still lay a better looking bead on the TIG welder. Pretty much any situation where somebody would use a MIG welder, TIG would be better...smaller, better looking weld, more control over penetration, ability to weld all types of metal...the list goes on.

Haha Mud Gun! :D Its so true, the mig is so much faster though.... Besides that I would rather tig weld any day. What about brazing? My dad loves it! He's a dick but a hella good welder. I used to use a Miller tig welder a bunch when I used to work for my cousin (another dick... it must run in the family :D ) I was fun and use full. I'm sure yours are classer though :D

IMG00180.JPG.jpg

IMG00181.JPG.jpg

Those pics are the old tunnel, there is actually a whole where the DL wore through it! That metal is thick to.

IMG00182-1.JPG.jpg

This is the good side, the leafs are sagging big time on the other side. Its almost tucking rim on the other side!! We also took it for a test spin, it rides really nice until you hit a big whole... BAM!!! axle to frame :( I think if the leaf on the drivers side wasn't sagging so bad and it had some new shocks it would be fine. So thats the plan :D I also noticed on our test run it has a bad wheel beering and the brakes are sucking!!

Looks good Jeff...I like the color. Maybe you could swap the bad leaf & see how it sits. As for the BAM when you hit a dip...what about installing those 4x4 polyurethene bump stops on the axle?

I was thinking about those bump stops, The only problem is they take up potential suspension travel :D I want to see how it rides after the new leafs and shocks, maybe that will cure it. Once there is a driver in the car there is only about 1.5" of suspension travel left! Basically its tucking about an inch of rim at that point....

Man, that 'goons look good nice an low...makes me want one for a daily.

With regards to the welding, I have found that TIG is almost faster in alot of situations, cause you don't have to dress the weld as much (grinding hard ass mig welds sucks). But the welder I use is my dads (thankfully, not a dick...although his name is Richard) and its a few years older than I am. Works great though, and I has stickers from 10 years of car and motorcycle racing on it, so its got hella character. I have done some tig brazing with it to, using this stuff called everdure, really good for body work, and it flows really nicely.

Is this the "blue" wagon your thread is about?

haha Yeah it started blue :D If you look close at the roof you can make out a little blue :) hehe It started blue :D

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...