Resurrected 86 720

Joecar

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

make sure you mark than change every vacuum line than run a bottle of 'gauranteed to pass" or something like that , also change oil  plugs etc before you try to smog it

the taillights can be bought online for 85 & 86

3 hours ago, trjerm said:

make sure you mark than change every vacuum line than run a bottle of 'gauranteed to pass" or something like that , also change oil  plugs etc before you try to smog it

Oil is fresh but i cant find thr taillights in the black trim 

9 hours ago, trjerm said:

How much you asking

Maybe a blown head gasket.If that is the case,then you need to find out why it blew the gasket.Check your spark plugs before you go to step two.White smoke should come out the tail pipe.Maybe a clogged cat.Mine came apart and restricted the flow out of the tail pipe and it blew the head gasket at cylinder 3 and 4 and made the spark plugs there get burnt.Jack did the head gasket job and put it all back together and started it up and it didn't sound right so he checked the cat and it came apart and made the exhaust flow back up into the engine,so he didn't put another cat on it.A head gasket doesn't just blow,something causes it.Check this out,someone else on this site.Butter fingers had a clogged cat,his head gasket blew,he lives in Cali too.Ya'll have very strict laws on this and can't buy them online.Passing the test is hard there and they are high dollar.Down here in Georgia,we just cut them off.and ride like the wind.https://www.carparts.com/blog/how-to-tell-if-the-catalytic-converter-is-clogged/

14 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

Maybe a blown head gasket.If that is the case,then you need to find out why it blew the gasket.Check your spark plugs before you go to step two.White smoke should come out the tail pipe.Maybe a clogged cat.Mine came apart and restricted the flow out of the tail pipe and it blew the head gasket at cylinder 3 and 4 and made the spark plugs there get burnt.Jack did the head gasket job and put it all back together and started it up and it didn't sound right so he checked the cat and it came apart and made the exhaust flow back up into the engine,so he didn't put another cat on it.A head gasket doesn't just blow,something causes it.Check this out,someone else on this site.Butter fingers had a clogged cat,his head gasket blew,he lives in Cali too.Ya'll have very strict laws on this and can't buy them online.Passing the test is hard there and they are high dollar.Down here in Georgia,we just cut them off.and ride like the wind.https://www.carparts.com/blog/how-to-tell-if-the-catalytic-converter-is-clogged/

But i just replace the headgasket. Thats the reason it was parked. Im also using some new sparks

hello gang , just wanted to cleat the air on my head gasket failure . my catalytic converter is fine and i had just passed smog . my tired but great running truck has over 300,000 miles on it . i did not want to re-torque in fear of snapping a head bolt so i just ran it !  i am sure the heat cycles , relaxed head torque all played a part in the failure . if a tired motor with over 300,000 miles can run that good i am excited to install a  rebuilt z 24 . at the present i am not able to save money for a motor due to inflation and gas prices .LOL / Butter Fingers 

• Like 2

I would double check the cam timing. First you should verify TDC. I have seen many engines with mismatching TDC pointers and pulleys. Over the years, repairs are done and someone puts the wrong parts on. It's not uncommon. Even matching pulley/pointers can be off a couple degrees and verifying TDC by pulling a spark plug and running the piston to where it rocks over is the best way to verify that it's reading correctly. Installing the cam gear a tooth off would make your engine puff smoke out of the intake, but it would also run very poorly. It could still run though.

On 5/26/2022 at 11:18 PM, Joecar said:

My tailgate is in pretty rough shape and cant find an exact replacement so im thinking of just not having one and still need a taillight, and fender flare but its fine for now

Joe I have access to a brand new re-manufactured tailgate. I can have it shipped to you. It's painted with black powder coat primer. Only issue is it has absolutely no hardware to mount the gate with. So you will need to get that.

I also can re-manufacture and source a vast majority of the running gear and interior components.

On 5/28/2022 at 6:01 PM, Joecar said:

Drivers side

Just had a look at the lights, not mint but not too bad. The passenger (R) is the one in better condition.

Drivers side:

IMG_8882.jpg.2ea5a367c67ab9f5ad4d46a62c5d99b5.jpgIMG_8883.jpg.6545df8a351b38c5da4b90d50b4769b2.jpg

Passenger side:

IMG_8884.jpg.643df634eed283c8b8a8084def55af68.jpgIMG_8885.jpg.cdc71eb67ddfbfb9339b2178e5c87f13.jpg

Let me know

On 6/2/2022 at 12:38 PM, NicktheMillwright said:

Joe I have access to a brand new re-manufactured tailgate. I can have it shipped to you. It's painted with black powder coat primer. Only issue is it has absolutely no hardware to mount the gate with. So you will need to get that.

I also can re-manufacture and source a vast majority of the running gear and interior components.

Ok i would appreciate that very much. I would just need some time to save up some money as i spent it on the engine