Jump to content

620 Electric Fuel Pump mounting ideas


Recommended Posts

so i recently bought and electric fuel pump and looking for some ideas on where and how to mount it. 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p4070?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-JyUBhCuARIsANUqQ_JN9BoEG31A7MOChKrPLN5J0qPzuhETGQ6sQMXVBY1npLovB5WzCscaAk-tEALw_wcB

This is the fuel pump, it was recommended from a buddy of mine with the same set up I want but he mounting his in the front which i would prefer not to do. 

So these are my ideas: the first set of photos are the outboard side next to the fuel pump 

 

https://imgur.com/a/VAIdInV

 

these photos are the inboard side: 

 

https://imgur.com/a/cTEDC7f

 

Please let me know what you all think. or some ideas you have. thanks

Link to comment
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Four PSI is slightly high but ok with the stock carburetor. Webers like half that pressure. Can you mount it upside down? That would protect the wiring much better. Yes, inside the frame close to the tank.

Link to comment
10 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Four PSI is slightly high but ok with the stock carburetor. Webers like half that pressure. Can you mount it upside down? That would protect the wiring much better. Yes, inside the frame close to the tank.

So i have a regulator just in case. Gotta mount that also. I mean inside is cool but do you think it is hanging too low? Also do you think this fuel pump is over kill and i shouldve just gotten a smaller one? I was trying to make it look like the 70s almost because i was planning on mounting it in the engine bay. 

Link to comment

Engine bay will work but the better position is as low and close to the tank as possible.  Upside down would be better protected.

 

Put the filter between the tank and the pump. It's not rated to have any pressure in it. Filtering the gas before the pump keeps trash out of it.

 

What's wrong with the mechanical pump?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Engine bay will work but the better position is as low and close to the tank as possible.  Upside down would be better protected.

 

Put the filter between the tank and the pump. It's not rated to have any pressure in it. Filtering the gas before the pump keeps trash out of it.

 

What's wrong with the mechanical pump?

https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/50102

 

Also Because I want to add a switch and not have any electrical problems, would installing a relay help to prevent electrical problems and be able to add a kill switch. 

 

I am tired of these fuel pumps. I have had three so far and each has gone out. And I would like electrical to help prevent thief. Lately three datsun have been stolen in my area at a datsun shop. 

Link to comment

Originals last virtually forever but after market ones are crap. An original is around $90 so you get what you pay for.

 

Don't forget the fuel filter up front is not designed to hold pressure from the pump. Nor is the hose from the line to the pump. Put the filter between tank and the suction side of the pump.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Originals last virtually forever but after market ones are crap. An original is around $90 so you get what you pay for.

 

Don't forget the fuel filter up front is not designed to hold pressure from the pump. Nor is the hose from the line to the pump. Put the filter between tank and the suction side of the pump.

Got any recommendations for a fuel filter? should i use two? 

Link to comment

The Carter pumps like to push fuel, so near the tank is best. Lower than the tank too, or at least as low as possible. On the frame rail is a pretty good spot. If you're worried about it getting damaged, make a shield out of steel sheetmetal and bolt that to the frame to protect the pump.

 

Filters, I'd use at least one. The Carter pumps hate debris and will not last a minute with any junk going through them, so a filter before the pump is a good idea. I would also have one in the engine bay so you can visually see when the fuel system is dirty.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

A liquid pump has virtually unlimited pressure on the output side but no pump ever made, no matter how powerful, can lift a liquid like water more than about 30 feet on the suction side. Atmospheric pressure is the limiting factor. Having the electric pump in the engine bay means the pump has to use some of it effort lifting the fuel a foot or two. This is not as much a factor with a mechanical pump that is driven by a 100 hp engine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.