Door locks

Socalman

Hello all, I am not sure if anyone has shared this. I have found a lock that for the doors that replaces the old or missing keys locks. I didn’t have a key for my 521 when I bought it. I went push start but needed to still lock the doors. It’s from Oreilly’s. All I had to do is rotate the direction of the tab to match old by taking out retaining ring. 

24159548-579F-4BB0-8AC4-B134DB86F486.jpeg

615717BC-0ECA-4012-89E1-064E6C135F58.jpeg

71F40D89-0AFF-494A-854F-BB2F41E4CD6D.jpeg

1A2EB5FE-26CB-46A7-A568-883E0DC29B99.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Man thank you for posting this!!!!! I have the key for my door locks but they're destroyed beyond repair. I ordered a lockset online last night and picked them up at orileys on my way home from work this afternoon. 

I started messing with it a little and realized that I'm not at all versed in automotive lock assemblies!!!!! When I pulled the old locksets out I just pulled the clips and left the arms/ rods attached to each other.  So I have no idea which way these need to be rotated/ reassembled (when I pulled them off the OG locks I figured they'd only go back on one way so i didn't pay close attention)

Any help/ visual aid you may be able to help with would be greatly appreciated!  I'm pretty sure that if I just start slapping them together to figure it out, that by the time I get it figured one of the plastic clips will break or something of the sorts. That's just how things tend to work for me sometimes!

In studying your picture, assuming you took it after you reindexed the arms. I'm thinking that you took the arms, switched them to the opposite side locks, and turned the dogleg side of the arm to where it protrudes further away from the lock assembly. Am I right about that????

Edited by Oilspot
32 minutes ago, Oilspot said:

Man thank you for posting this!!!!! I have the key for my door locks but they're destroyed beyond repair. I ordered a lockset online last night and picked them up at orileys on my way home from work this afternoon. 

I started messing with it a little and realized that I'm not at all versed in automotive lock assemblies!!!!! When I pulled the old locksets out I just pulled the clips and left the arms/ rods attached to each other.  So I have no idea which way these need to be rotated/ reassembled (when I pulled them off the OG locks I figured they'd only go back on one way so i didn't pay close attention)

Any help/ visual aid you may be able to help with would be greatly appreciated!  I'm pretty sure that if I just start slapping them together to figure it out, that by the time I get it figured one of the plastic clips will break or something of the sorts. That's just how things tend to work for me sometimes!

In studying your picture, assuming you took it after you reindexed the arms. I'm thinking that you took the arms, switched them to the opposite side locks, and turned the dogleg side of the arm to where it protrudes further away from the lock assembly. Am I right about that????

I just flipped it. If you notice on this picture, the plastic holder is facing down on the left lock. On the right side lock it’s the opposite, that’s how they came. Just unclip retainer and flip it. 

3E464654-B114-4B3E-9375-CA77A5CABB7D.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Oilspot said:

RPe1PJZ.jpg

This is what I got with the arms flipped (not sure why the image rotated 90). 

I'm assuming its correct since the opposite side is a mirror (small slot in door points towards the rear)!?!?!

White one looks right. I haven’t test fitted yellow one yet. I assume should be same process. 

I wrote earlier that the small tab on the locks pointed backward on both doors, that was wrong!!!  The small tab points forward on the drivers and towards the rear on the passenger. So yes in the picture I've got them setup correctly.

Again..... thank you so much for figuring out the compatibility of these locks, and then thank you again for clarifying how to set them up!!!!! 

This was one of those problems I'd been putting off on my truck and it made it to where there were just places I wouldn't drive it because I wasn't able to lock it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a TWO pair of these for a 73 510 project............look great!  I think the one pair for the door locks will work just fine, as above for a truck.  Only issue I see in regards to using on the trunk & fuel filler lid on a 68-73 510 Sedan, is that the shaft on the NEW lock cylinder is LARGER that the shaft on the old cylinder, thus the original flat steel "arms" will require opening up the hole, to fit the new cylinder shaft.  I have NOT attempted to do this yet (other projects ahead of it).  I think the lock cylinders are the same, but they have completely different "arms" that actuate the latching.

If you are doing a 510 & you have a friendly parts guy at the counter, maybe you could get him to try to find TWO lock pairs with the same key code (stamped on the new keys), so all ock cylinders would be the same key!  Wonder if LockSmart would offer two pair with matched key code & sell them directly to you?  I just might contact them...................😁

• 11 months later...
On 5/30/2023 at 5:30 AM, jonnwarne said:

Yes, you can change your door locks, sometime the old locks are not work properly. I recently install the smart locks for my office for this purpose I get the services of  residential locksmith tampa and they provide me best services at very reasonable rates. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47wnd5akjaj3rn8a02bm