King cab interchangeable beds.

Turdbuster

I had a dream a few nights ago. I forgot what the dream was about but I woke up wanting to have multiple beds that I could interchange on my dually depending on the occasion. I have three beds in mind. Dump flat bed, Regular bed, and utility bed. The way I see it a man needs three trucks. Work, play, and dump. Just wondering if there is a quick easy way to fasten and unfasten beds from the frame? Using bolts every time seems like down fall and time consuming. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you've had a bolt off you know that the top has an eccentric washer welded onto it so that as the nut is tightened/loosened it turns till it seats against the channel its in and can't turn. The problem is the washer is thin and easily bent if the bolt is rusty and stubborn and then it just spins with the nut.

Getting them all out and welding them in place so they can't spin would make it a lot simpler. At least on a flat and a regular bed.   

• Thanks 1

I was thinking about this....

If I was going to do it I would make the dump flat bed first and functional.. 

Then figure out how to make the regular and utility box able to bolt to the flat bed...

The flat bed would always stay attached....

Edited by Crashtd420

The bed sits on the frame in some places so the flatbed would space it up what ever thickness it is.

What about making the stock box the dumper? As it hinges across the back it should be simple enough to remove. Lift the flatbed onto the frame.

The 720 and 620 boxes mount the same way, in the same positions. Bolts have a large eccentric head shaped to act as retainer and not rotate so you can bolt up brom below. Those bolts are slightly different on the 720 but same effect.

If you really want a quick swap setup, I'd suggest you look at how buckets are attached to a backhoe or similar. couple of HD stationary hooks then secure other end with a large pin.

720 gas tanks were frame mounted, so relatively simple that way. Ealier 620 tanks were attached to bottom of box. Filler would need some thought.

I can say without a doubt that if you make a dump bed, it is going to stay a dump bed, as it will be too much of a headache to remove from the frame and way too heavy unless you have a purpose made way of lifting it off, mine is simple with only the power cable going to the battery and the plug going to the lights, I would never consider removing it.

DSCN7771.thumb.jpg.ec30c57d92cc1016cc8a11e2f972a4cf.jpg

DSCN7772.thumb.jpg.a45abaef0b227d2408a241dc81837443.jpg

10 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The bed sits on the frame in some places so the flatbed would space it up what ever thickness it is.

What about making the stock box the dumper? As it hinges across the back it should be simple enough to remove. Lift the flatbed onto the frame.

I was thinking more of cutting floor out of the stock so it slips over the flat bed.... 

Probably easier to just make the stock box a dump body and forget the other two ... maybe add removable boxes instead of a utility box....

Many way to do this I imagine....