1986 720 2.4 Head replacement

Joecar

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I doubt you will find a bare head casting anywhere. Try to find a used Z24 head from a wrecking yard. A used replacement head should have the valves, rockers and cam in it. You don't want to put your valve train parts into a different head if you can avoid it.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

I doubt you will find a bare head casting anywhere. Try to find a used Z24 head from a wrecking yard. A used replacement head should have the valves, rockers and cam in it. You don't want to put your valve train parts into a different head if you can avoid it.

Evergreen CH3001 Single Spark Plug Cylinder Head Compatible With 83-89 Nissan D21 720 Pathfinder 2.4 Z24 Z24i https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K3TS4DT/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_RWGNC6ZSQ3FYJB2ZM6E2?psc=1 would this be a good one?

Stay away from Auto part engines,transmission's and heads...I know people that bought from them and transmission company's that says stay away from them.Jack,the guy that installed my Jasper engine also said he does not mess with Autozone.Cheaper is not better,I got 90,000 miles on my Jasper engine.You get what you pay for.Do it right the first time.Came with a nation wide 3 year or 100,000 mile warranty.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
20 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Where's the crack?

I dont knowni was just told that it was cracked. Also 2 to last valve is very rusty. I dont know if it can be rebuilt or replaced. Im trying to send a picture of it but it says its oversized file

Z24 are well known for blowing their head gaskets. If you keep driving the coolant steams and passes by the rings and get into and mixes with the oil. Probably nothing wrong with the head just a bad gasket. 

That said it should be checked for flatness. Wire wheel the combustion chamber clean. Easy enough to remove those two valves and brush them clean too.  $30 headgasket is way cheaper than $800 and a $30 headgasket. 

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Z24 are well known for blowing their head gaskets. If you keep driving the coolant steams and passes by the rings and get into and mixes with the oil. Probably nothing wrong with the head just a bad gasket. 

That said it should be checked for flatness. Wire wheel the combustion chamber clean. Easy enough to remove those two valves and brush them clean too.  $30 headgasket is way cheaper than $800 and a $30 headgasket. 

I dont have a wire wheel. Could i possible take it to a machine shop to clean it for me? Also looking at the old gasket it looks fine too me still is held up but should probably get a new one

13 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I just took it to a machine shop and they said it is indeed cracked