Dual Exhaust

Turdbuster

Hey my name is Teague. A couple years ago I purchased an 83’ 720 king cab dually. My hopes are to restore, modify, and customize it for service too my drain cleaning business.  I have already done a lot to it and used a-lot of information from here. Thanks ! My question is it ok to split the Exhaust and make dual stacks at the end of the cab? If so is there a header prefabricated or would I have to make it myself? 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Turdbuster said:

Hey my name is Teague. A couple years ago I purchased an 83’ 720 king cab dually. My hopes are to restore, modify, and customize it for service too my drain cleaning business.  I have already done a lot to it and used a-lot of information from here. Thanks ! My question is it ok to split the Exhaust and make dual stacks at the end of the cab? If so is there a header prefabricated or would I have to make it myself? 

I'll answer this because I think I'm the only guy here with stacks on my 521 or any datsun for that fact....

Couple things I'll say, it's a little noisier but it's not that bad....

Think about the exit too, it can suck the fumes back into the window, but with a king cab you should be ok.. 

I'd also add an angled top that helps with directing the fumes and any condensation from the exhaust during start up.. it gets messy when that goes straight up, actually its messy either way....

42 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I wouldn't separate the 1/4 from the 2/3 or it will sound like a VW bug or a Subaru. Instead, if you just have to, just twin the pipe after they join.

This.... I would think you'd have to run smaller pipes too since you only need the volume for 2 cylinders not 4... I'd think it would sound a little odd also....

The only way to run duals and still keep the power and sound where it should be is to split it after it merges into the single tailpipe. Try to keep as much of the single pipe in tact before you split it into dual exhaust.

One way to keep the length is to run a muffler with the inlet and the outlet on the same end of the muffler. Magnaflow sells one. I have used them when I want to do a side exit exhaust. - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-14210

1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

One way to keep the length is to run a muffler with the inlet and the outlet on the same end of the muffler. Magnaflow sells one. I have used them when I want to do a side exit exhaust. - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-14210

That's basically the muffler I used but some generic version....

One idea I had was to use a pair of Corvette side pipe mufflers.. 

They usually have a heat shield and angled ends.... 

Theres a couple different ways to go about it, just think about how you want it to look and go from there.... 

I run a 2" exhaust and I tried use a larger diameter after the muffler I think I used 3 or 3 1/2 as the up pipe to look like the stack.... the size made the exhaust sound horrible in my opinion when revved up...

Gave it that fart can sound ...

You can have a look here at what I have been doing, click on the December 5th tab and it should be the right page.... 

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1

Thank you guys for all of your feed back. I painted this thing dukiee sparkle brown. Trimmed it out with long side steps. It looks super cool. The last owner cut the holes on either side of the bed. I like him figure it wound look really cool with dual smoke stacks. I would never sacrifice power or function for looks. Thank you guys. I’m glad to have found you all. 

• Like 1