• 1 month later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/28/2022 at 8:22 PM, thisismatt said:

Spoke with keymate and they say ilco has discontinued the DT2. I finally found a locksmith who was willing to experiment on a couple more commonly available keys and we found the DT13 works in place of a DT2, but has to be cut down to size.

3 hours ago, kcmwalker said:

Spoke with keymate and they say ilco has discontinued the DT2. I finally found a locksmith who was willing to experiment on a couple more commonly available keys and we found the DT13 works in place of a DT2, but has to be cut down to size.

But you were able to confirm that DT2 is the correct keyway and length?

10 hours ago, thisismatt said:

But you were able to confirm that DT2 is the correct keyway and length?

Yes, I verified with keymate that the DT2 would have been the correct blank for my truck. Interestingly enough, Ilco still has the DT3 available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...

Hello again everyone. It's been a solid year of headaches and joy with the 521, but now both my front wheel cylinders are leaking and I've lost the breaks a couple times. I've pulled, cleaned and reassembled the cylinders, but they both still leak once the system is pressurized. Most importantly, I'm looking for a dual master cylinder that will fit a '71 521 and I'd like to swap out for discs on the front at least. Looking to connect with anyone that may have the parts I'm looking for. Any help is much appreciated.

Cleaning them won't fix worn seals. Either rebuild with new seals.. (I've done this, it's very cheap, if you can find them) or just replace.

Before my '71 I had a '68 510. I did take the dual master from it and put it on the 521. The flairs on the brake tubes did not match the master, and I know this will sound insane, but I filed them down and tightened the nuts. It worked just fine. This was almost 50 years ago when I had little money, no tools and less sense. 

Cleaning them can make them not leak though. If they get gunk in them from sitting too long they will leak. Moisture buildup causes corrosion and that corrosion can start pushing on the seals. I've had this happen to a few drum brake vehicles, one of which was my Datsun 320. Cleaned the cylinders and good as new.

I did also install a residual valve in the 320 to help keep this from happening again, and that did help.