Later Model Voltage regulators

bilzbobaggins

I know around 73 the voltage regulator plugs changed a bit over the years.  But the functionality of them or the parameters that they work in did not change right?  So, I could take a round plug one and make it work with a square plug?  

Mine shit the bed and I have one somewhere but I know the plugs are different.  Id just like to use it because why not.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally found the one from the part out and its a damn wells.  Oh well, looks about new.  And I already own it.  Ive got the remains of the 620 harness.  I will snip that end and the bad end of the old regulator and make my "new" harness to work with my 521.  When my alt goes out I will most likely go internally regulated.  If not, I can find reg's made in Japan with a round plug for a lot less then the shitty ones I find for the 521.

• 1 month later...

What actually goes bad in these regulators?

Lq0sRfH.jpg

I took the cover off of my old regulator.  Was overcharging.  Nothing looks fried.  The only thing I can try is cleaning the contact points on both sides right?

I have been busy as fuck and have not attempted this fix till now.  The wiring colors of this regulator do not match the colors on the one off of my 620 regulator.  But looking at diagrams they should.  I went out to look at the colors on the harness end and had to curse the moron that sprayed everything black under the hood one more time.  Its dark and I have a hard time seeing colors so I have called that a night.

vDTu8i6.jpg

I have black, yellow, yellow with white stripe, white w/ red stripe, white w/ black stripe and white

Ul8057P.jpg

These are the correct colors according to all wiring diagrams I found.  

My guess is the white w/ blue stripe will go to the yellow with white stripe to join the two.

Any guesses?

And yes, given time and sunshine I will clean the black paint off of the harness end in the truck.

17 hours ago, bilzbobaggins said:

What actually goes bad in these regulators?

Lq0sRfH.jpg

I took the cover off of my old regulator.  Was overcharging.  Nothing looks fried.  The only thing I can try is cleaning the contact points on both sides right?

I have been busy as fuck and have not attempted this fix till now.  The wiring colors of this regulator do not match the colors on the one off of my 620 regulator.  But looking at diagrams they should.  I went out to look at the colors on the harness end and had to curse the moron that sprayed everything black under the hood one more time.  Its dark and I have a hard time seeing colors so I have called that a night.

vDTu8i6.jpg

I have black, yellow, yellow with white stripe, white w/ red stripe, white w/ black stripe and white

Ul8057P.jpg

These are the correct colors according to all wiring diagrams I found.  

My guess is the white w/ blue stripe will go to the yellow with white stripe to join the two.

Any guesses?

And yes, given time and sunshine I will clean the black paint off of the harness end in the truck.

Old mechanical Voltage regulators are adjustable,  My 411 came with original mechanical regulator but I replaced it with an externally regulated electronic regulator when I installed a replacement alternator, Electronic regulator was pin for pin and mechanically swappable with the factory part but much shorter,  FYI if I were to slip the mechanical regulator cover off and put it over the electronic it would look factory [for those who want to retain a factory delivered appearance].  All that would be required would be  to cut the mechanical locking tabs off the cover, I didn't do that.

P,s, I have the voltage adjust procedure if all else fails [and probably the original mechanical regulator somewhere].