Veraciousreasoning

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Veraciousreasoning said:

Hey guys,

So I just had a quick question since you guys resolved my last two questions. 

When I driving my manual the shifter rod rattles when I am driving. Is there a way I can tighten it so I can stop hearing it rattle the entire time driving?

You need new shifter bushings. Common problem.

• Like 1

Just type 510 Datsun shifter bushings into Google and at least one will be for e-Bay or something.

You probably have this style in the '80. They also come in brass that won't wear out. Plastic will last for a long tiime...

Datsun 620 240z 260z 280z Transmission Shifter Shift Lever Pin and Clip OEM  for sale online | eBay

You might have this (left side) style but I think on the later trucks. There is a small spring that may not come with it. The sides are much larger and less likely to wear out.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Just type 510 Datsun shifter bushings into Google and at least one will be for e-Bay or something.

You probably have this style in the '80. They also come in brass that won't wear out. Plastic will last for a long tiime...

Datsun 620 240z 260z 280z Transmission Shifter Shift Lever Pin and Clip OEM  for sale online | eBay

You might have this (left side) style but I think on the later trucks. There is a small spring that may not come with it. The sides are much larger and less likely to wear out.

Can I add a after market shifter to it? 

• Like 1

I do not know of any aftermarket shifters that will work with the Nissan transmission as it shifts internally.  All the aftermarket shifters that I know of are for transmissions that have external shifting levers.

Make it easy on yourself and do as Mike suggested above.

Sure but it's a shifter and you already have one. If you do don't throw the one you have away, you'll want it later to put back in. Fix what you have and it will serve you for many years to come.

Yea, I was just curious. I am not sold on getting a after market shifter but just in case I find one I like. I wouldn't mind having a different knob on it. 

Anything for my datsun would never be thrown away. You never know when someone needs a part for their Datsun. 

Those later shifters with the big flat plastic side will fit your transmission. It may look a little goofy but it's hidden under the dust boot. You might look at one of those if in a wrecking yard. Most have a rubber sheath inside. Don't loose the little spring inside.

i1OKBSS.jpg

Those later shifters with the big flat plastic side will fit your transmission. It may look a little goofy but it's hidden under the dust boot. You might look at one of those if in a wrecking yard. Most have a rubber sheath inside. Don't loose the little spring inside.

i1OKBSS.jpg

Yea, there is a pretty big junk yard like 40 minutes away. I was thinking of checking it out. seeing what I can salvage from there since its dirt cheap. 

One of the first things I did on my recent 620 purchase was get a pushing and pin set from eBay, and the small rubber boot that attaches to the trany itself.  Waaay different.  Still need to find the body to shift lever boot and a replacement for the leather boot.

Mike, you mentioned flipping a spring in the later design to get a shorter through.  Looks to me like the holes for the pin are in the metal and I don't see how that would work.  Can you explain better and give an example of where that later shifter comes from?  That sounds like a good 'shift kit', like Veraciousreasoning was asking about ;-}

i1OKBSS.jpg

Normally the spring is above the pin just like the bottom one in the picture. The middle one is shorter but by moving the spring under the pin the shorter one now has the same length as the bottom longer one. Make sense?

If you want more here's what I did...

Cut the end off a spare shift lever.

iTEguZR.jpg

Welded it onto the bottom of my shifter. If you don't have a spare cut and add a spacer.

2QWi1nj.jpg

Drill a hole exactly the same distance higher as the shifter was lengthened.

fwlp9iB.jpg

Assemble.

gkRL5RG.jpg

N.N.N.N

2....4....R

Becomes

N.N.N.N

2....4....R

Notice only the forward and backward distances are shortened the sideways neutral gate remains the same width. Shifting will be slightly goofy but muscle memory soon is taught the new pattern.

I just hopped back on this thread after seeing more info in Lockleaf's Half Pint build.  I didn't get that the 'spring' was the whole piece with the hole included.  I'm going to search for some shifters and give this a try.  Thanks for the further explanation of your extending the ball trick.  Essentially the same as a shift kit, even if it doesn't go 'snick snick' when shifting ;-}

On 9/30/2021 at 7:14 AM, datzenmike said:

i1OKBSS.jpg

What years did they come in? The junkyard near my house has 4 datsuns that are late 80's and 1 of them is a 86. 

10 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Not used after '86 on the 720 and the S12 200sx. Used on the '80-'83 S110 200sx and the '80-'83 280zx non turbo and on the '81-'84 Maxima. 

I know the 86 at the junkyard had the shifter intact. It shouldn't cost me that much so I think I'll try that if I read your post correctly. 

Has to be a 720 and they were all build dates in '85. The '86 720 year ended around December or 1/2 way through the model year. The D21 Hardbody began immediately after. The Hardbody used a totally different transmission and shifter.

Has to be a 720 and they were all build dates in '85. The '86 720 year ended around December or 1/2 way through the model year. The D21 Hardbody began immediately after. The Hardbody used a totally different transmission and shifter.

I think they had one 86 720. There happens to be a bunch of junkyards around so I would prefer to find my make/model if I can. I live in Idaho so I am going to assume the mountain people out here have one somewhere lol 

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/13/2021 at 6:46 AM, datzenmike said:

Looked and can't find anything in the Junk yard. I been looking on ebay and still can't seem to find anything for my 1980 720 

The '83 and up Z24/Z20 and SD25 diesels all had the modified bushing. The '80-'83 S110 and '84-'86.5 S12 (both 200sx) had them, also the '81-'84 Maxima. The '79-'83 280zx didn't. These are the only vehicles that used the 71B before it was replaced by the 71C in '86.5.

The '83 and up Z24/Z20 and SD25 diesels all had the modified bushing. The '80-'83 S110 and '84-'86.5 S12 (both 200sx) had them, also the '81-'84 Maxima. The '79-'83 280zx didn't. These are the only vehicles that used the 71B before it was replaced by the 71C in '86.5.

will this work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174811512695?hash=item28b393ff77%3Ag%3AT1MAAOSwzl9fvDCk&fits=Year%3A1981|Model%3AMaxima|Make%3ADatsun