Shifter rattle

Veraciousreasoning

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an E clip on the end of the pin. A screwdriver blade can dislodge it. Try to save it in case you loose the other. Push pin through, shifter lifts up and out.

Image 11 - Nissan 200SX 280ZX 720 Pick up Genuine Shifter Shift Lever Bushings & Boot OEM

Knock the 'cup' bushing off the bottom. To install the new cup, dab of grease, set on surface and push shifter down firmly into it. It clicks into place. Grease the two side bushings so they will stick in place, slip the spring in. I guess you will want the hole for the pin to the top with spring beneath to give the shortest throw. It's a little tricky to get the cup bushing down and into the striker rod receiving hole. On the odd chance the length is maxed, out flip the side bushings and place the spring to the top? Install pin and clip. The E clip is the hardest thing to do.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, datzenmike said:

There is an E clip on the end of the pin. A screwdriver blade can dislodge it. Try to save it in case you loose the other. Push pin through, shifter lifts up and out.

Image 11 - Nissan 200SX 280ZX 720 Pick up Genuine Shifter Shift Lever Bushings & Boot OEM

Knock the 'cup' bushing off the bottom. To install the new cup, dab of grease, set on surface and push shifter down firmly into it. It clicks into place. Grease the two side bushings so they will stick in place, slip the spring in. I guess you will want the hole for the pin to the top with spring beneath to give the shortest throw. It's a little tricky to get the cup bushing down and into the striker rod receiving hole. On the odd chance the length is maxed, out flip the side bushings and place the spring to the top? Install pin and clip. The E clip is the hardest thing to do.

Doesn't sound to complicated. I'll get back on Tuesday night when it is all said and done. 

On 9/30/2021 at 6:06 AM, datzenmike said:

Just type 510 Datsun shifter bushings into Google and at least one will be for e-Bay or something.

You probably have this style in the '80. They also come in brass that won't wear out. Plastic will last for a long tiime...

Datsun 620 240z 260z 280z Transmission Shifter Shift Lever Pin and Clip OEM  for sale online | eBay

You might have this (left side) style but I think on the later trucks. There is a small spring that may not come with it. The sides are much larger and less likely to wear out.

I've lost track of which shifter you are going to use. If the ones on the right use the kit in the very top picture. If the shifter on the left above, then the replacement parts are shown just below it with the spring.

1 hour ago, Veraciousreasoning said:

I actually just found this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/201349572249?hash=item2ee15ea699:g:qCUAAOSwz2NdXXxk

I only really need that part to make it stop rattling since there is so much space and that piece should fill the gap. 

That would work on an early shifter but only one bushing is shown, you'll need two and this doesn't include the cup for the ball on the bottom of the shifter.

This:

Shifter Bushing Kit OEM 240Z 260Z 280Z 280ZX

https://zcardepot.com/products/shifter-bushing-kit-oem-240z-260z-280z-280zx#

7 hours ago, datzenmike said:

That would work on an early shifter but only one bushing is shown, you'll need two and this doesn't include the cup for the ball on the bottom of the shifter.

This:

Shifter Bushing Kit OEM 240Z 260Z 280Z 280ZX

https://zcardepot.com/products/shifter-bushing-kit-oem-240z-260z-280z-280zx#

The kit I just bought that had the wrong bushings came with the cap and I already installed it. I only need the two pieces. I know the link only shows 1. I planned on buying two of them.