Oil everywere, smoke, oil, more oil. HELP

NorCalDime

So i changed my oil today. Went fine untill i left to go to the store after doing it. Im warming up my car and then i open my door to get something out of my trunk and there is oil all over the ground. So i shut the car off, get out and oil is all over my driveway. :blink:

Found out that when i changed the oil filters the gasket on the old filter stuck on the block and i didnt notice it when i stuck the new one on. So i fixed that and filled it back up with more new oil :(

So my problem is i was driving it after finishing it and left from a stopsign romping on it a little and the cabin was filled with oil smoke. I pulled over and it was smoky all over. I looked under my car and there was just a small drip but smoke everywere. SO i turned it off again and looked in the engine but didnt see the culprit, dipstick still showed it had plenty of oil.

So then i start it up again, no smoke. Rev it up some and then see oil dripping all over the place under my car. I turn it off again and find oil all over the side of my engine block behind the header. It is from about the motor mount back and some on the tranny too. It is on the underside of the carbs and on the header, hence the smoke. I also noticed there is a piece on the block that goes up kinda like an arch that flattens at the top near the motor mount. there is a hole in it, and it is shiny. i have never noticed a hole there, so is something supposed to be there? it seems that hole could have oil spewing out of it and making that big mess. I cant find any pictures of what im trying to describe, and it is really dark out. Anyone have some info on this>?"

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i was wondering if that was a overflow. I let my buddy top it off and the oil was a little over the full mark on the dipstick. that must be the problem. I found a pic of the hole from another car30663170006_large.jpg

I think that's the crank breather, Should have a filter, Or run to your intake PCV. I had the same double gasket problem on my 240 once. I was in a hurry, Went on a Z car run the next day and puked all the oil out of the car, Covered every one behind me with oil, and fried the cam before I knew what was going on. :mad: Sad day but I built a bigger motor. :D

Here's what should be in the crank vent hole:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/motorL20BPCVhosetoblocknonsmog.jpg[/img]"]motorL20BPCVhosetoblocknonsmog.jpg

I can't see how the breather tube would pop out. Over filling could cause the crank to splash oil around but there are baffles in the block to separate the oil from the fumes, besides not much air is being sucked through that tube anyway. It would take 3 gallons of oil to fill up high enough to reach the vent.

if its not coming out the breather port, it could be excess from the previous mess. :eek:

i filled the riser on the X_member for the MM and couldnt figure out where the fuck the oil leak was coming from. about a week later i figured it out...what a mess :cursing:

I have heard of speedy oil change centers not seeing the old gasket and screwing up peoples cars before.

2eDeYe;103345'']One of those things that only happens to ya once ;)

unless its your business.

same stories about jiffy lube :fu:

Dont buy Fram oil filters!!!!!!!!!

Isn't that the truth..ESPECIALLY with the way the filters are arranged in old Datsuns. The weakest part of the Fram is that "anti-drainback" valve, which last I read on that site that has the tons of filter tests, is made of cardboard in a Fram filter. If the filter sits vertically like in a Chevy small/big block V8, the filter still sucks, but it will still work ok. When the filter sits any other way, like in a Datsun motor, the oil could drain out of it before next start up. It's only a few cents more for Motorcraft, or Napa Gold (Wix). It's worth it.

I think they make it out of cardboard because they know it isn't needed anyway. I've unscrewed lots of oil filters from Datsun motors that have sat for years and there's always lots of oil in them. Only way back into the pan is through the pump rotors and they have very tight clearances, about that of a piece of paper, and oil is thick. Second, in order to empty the filter all the oil in the gallery and above it in the head has to flow back down, and air has to be sucked in to replace it. Otherwise it is hydraulically locked.

If this were the case there would be a delay in oil pressure like when the filter is changed, on every start up. I've never experienced this. When I start up after several days of sitting, the red low pressure oil light goes out immediately. Can't speak for all other engines, maybe they have an oil leak back problem, but the Datsun L series doesn't.

I use a Canadian Tire brand (I think made by Fram) cheap and they work. I change the oil and filter twice a year at minimum. I use the 305 Chevy or 318 Dodge filter, which ever is cheaper, and have been doing this for over 13 years. My L20B has 300,000 km on it and is now retired but still ran great when I took it out.