3d Printing/Modeling

I am trying to think of things to model for the cars (510/280z) besides emblems anything that needs to be represented in 3d that isn't super complex? 

I am looking to work on Fusion 360 skills. Anything I make will go up on Thingiverse

Edited by Aaron Datsun
  • Like 1
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Aaron Datsun said:

I am trying to think of things to model for the cars (510/280z) besides emblems anything that needs to be represented in 3d that isn't super complex? 

I am looking to work on Fusion 360 skills. Anything I make will go up on Thingiverse

Off the top of my head:

Wheel center inserts

That filler piece between dash and steering column on a 510

Radio delete plate maybe?

Better cup holder design

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Aaron Datsun said:

I like it. I will see what I can do. I like the idea of a column cover with an integrated Gauge pod.

Good Idea. Just the column cover itself would be nice, but I like the idea of it integrated too.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Aaron Datsun said:

I like it. I will see what I can do. I like the idea of a column cover with an integrated Guage pod.

9 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

Good Idea. Just the column cover itself would be nice, but I like the idea of it integrated too.

I made a gauge pod that attaches to the cover for my 69 510.

• Like 2

I have been talking with another guy who actually already makes the filler piece on the dash, he also 3d prints the rear light housings. Super good dude.

Here has been this weeks project. I am farther along working on a lighting set up. I printed out the most recent prototype last night. THe lighting is almost there. I am going to use green LEDs. Check it out.

• Like 3

Any and all Datsun parts you can print will be welcome. One idea I have had for a long time: The cowl vent trim pieces for the Datsun 1200 Coupe. They are a cool feature on these cars and are nearly extinct in useable condition.

20201224_114024.jpg

• Like 2
1 minute ago, BvtnDave said:

Any and all Datsun parts you can print will be welcome. One idea I have had for a long time: The cowl vent trim pieces for the Datsun 1200 Coupe. They are a cool feature on these cars and are nearly extinct in useable condition.

20201224_114024.jpg

dguy210 already has a model for these.

• Like 3

Think I might be as done as I can be with this bad boy. The lighting solution looks like it is noticeable, once the part is painted black it blends in, and is hardly noticeable. I have the part on the 3d Printer right now if it turns out well I will be done with this today. I need to make a few tweaks to the tachometer holder that goes on the back.

It has been a very interesting learning process. I am very happy with the way it turned out. When I get it fully done, I will post a how-to video on my youtube channel, consider subscribing for Datsun content. Definitely like the video, hoping to grow the channel with original content like this

• Like 4

Fender mirrors. Obviously just the base it would still need a glass, maybe sized to a common replacement mirror glass.

The Datsun 120Y/B210 bullet style mirrors are nearly impossible to find so are a likely target, I'm not sure anyone has one to measure or if they are at true cone or flattened a bit on one side (the picture is hard to tell). But there are several others that would be neat, even maybe update them with blinkers or such. 

download (67).jpg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

First real contribution is up. 

The Datsun 510 Custom DIY Tachometer is complete. I am going to run mine for the next month or two to see if I still like it and might make some changes, but she is live! If you have a 510 you can have a tachometer for much under $50 if you already have a 3d printer! (that includes buying the tachometer) 

Please do not take this print it, then sell it online. If you want to pay someone to print it go for it. I am not attempting to get into the 3d printing and selling business currently with my crappy Ender 3v2 Clone. If you want to tip me on Thingiverse go for it. Hit me up on here if you have any questions. I hope this helps someone in the community. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4948260

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Aaron Datsun said:

The Datsun 510 Custom DIY Tachometer is complete. I am going to run mine for the next month or two to see if I still like it and might make some changes, but she is live! If you have a 510 you can have a tachometer for much under $50 if you already have a 3d printer! (that includes buying the tachometer) 

Please do not take this print it, then sell it online. If you want to pay someone to print it go for it. I am not attempting to get into the 3d printing and selling business currently with my crappy Ender 3v2 Clone. If you want to tip me on Thingiverse go for it. Hit me up on here if you have any questions. I hope this helps someone in the community. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4948260

Huge thank you for this. I know how long it takes to model, print, adjust, reprint..repeat, just to get these things dialed in. This is an impressive model and it's very generous of you to put up the files for the community.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Aaron Datsun said:

So I saw your video of this.  Maybe I didn't listen too well, or missed it.  Is there a recommended tach?  What about calibration between the tach itself and your facing, matching the needle sweep?

19 hours ago, iceman510 said:

So I saw your video of this.  Maybe I didn't listen too well, or missed it.  Is there a recommended tach?  What about calibration between the tach itself and your facing, matching the needle sweep?

I put a link in the Thingiverse page to the tach. I based the numbers on sweep of that tach. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00T451W6S/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_track_package_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Draker said:

Huge thank you for this. I know how long it takes to model, print, adjust, reprint..repeat, just to get these things dialed in. This is an impressive model and it's very generous of you to put up the files for the community.

You are welcome. I do have some for sale products coming soon that will I think be a help to the community, and I am trying to see if me printing some of these are feasible to sell, but honestly I know my printer isn't that great. There also isn't a glass covering this thing which doesn't bother me but might bother others.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Aaron Datsun said:

You are welcome. I do have some for sale products coming soon that will I think be a help to the community, and I am trying to see if me printing some of these are feasible to sell, but honestly I know my printer isn't that great. There also isn't a glass covering this thing which doesn't bother me but might bother others.

I've got the face printed in PETG. Did a little bit of cleanup but will probably still put a bit of paint on it to even out the blotchiness in sheen (printer issue). Took about 19hrs. Looks much better in person than the image indicates.

Only change I could think of is to make the face a separate piece from the sidewalls so you could print the face at 0.1 and the sidewalls at 0.2 or 0.28 to speed it up. Otherwise very nice model and I will be using it on my 72 510.

Printing the other parts now.

510tachface3dprint.jpg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 4
On 8/9/2021 at 8:30 PM, Aaron Datsun said:

For anyone that cares the 720 sunvisor clips it turns out are the same as B210 sun visor clips. I had printed several sets to bring to a meet and today found my original B210 clips and they are identical (note only later B210 had the clips. I have a 74 and mine doesn't, I think it was 76 they come in to use).

Other thing:. 1. the paint (filler primer and flat black) helped a bunch for the lines in the print for the gauge face. 2. As my dash is currently in a bunch of parts I also did a bit of "hold it up and test fit". I think I will go over the numbers and marks with a silver or white paint pen to make them pop. The spray paint black I used is still a bit light compared to the dash so trying to match that. Got the other parts printed also. May also consider redesigning the face to take a laser cut insert instead (if ok with the designer), not sure on that one yet though. 

On 9/4/2021 at 3:07 PM, Dguy210 said:

I've got the face printed in PETG. Did a little bit of cleanup but will probably still put a bit of paint on it to even out the blotchiness in sheen (printer issue). Took about 19hrs. Looks much better in person than the image indicates.

Only change I could think of is to make the face a separate piece from the sidewalls so you could print the face at 0.1 and the sidewalls at 0.2 or 0.28 to speed it up. Otherwise very nice model and I will be using it on my 72 510.

Printing the other parts now.

510tachface3dprint.jpg

That is a good idea, the other option would be to add-in in Cura post processing to change Z resolution at that height then back to much higher after?