New to working on Cars - Bought an '83 Datsun 720

dats720

Hi 

Can anyone give me a checklist of sorts of things to look for/to fix and where to get parts (I can't really find anything online)

I bought a project car but honestly haven't worked on cars before

It runs and I would like to get it registered and possibly drive it often

• Like 2
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

rockauto.com is my go to place for mail order.  Sometimes, they are not much cheaper than my local Autozone, Oreilly or Napa.  There is also a 5% discount code for RA.

Your 720 is pretty generic, and easy to work on.  If you can find a Field Service Manual on ebay, get it.  If not get a Haynes or Chilton.  One of those is no longer made. 

You question is also generic.  One step at a time.  If you don't know the history, start by changing all of the fluids.  Your manual will tell you how.  Then, sparklpugs, maybe wires, cap and etc....fuel filter.

Once you get that stuff done, you'll have learned a bunch.

Look at youtube for videos.  Keep in mind, that those guys can be pretty redneck in their methods....and I don't mean McGyver methods...crude.  Look at more than one video.

You trans takes (assuming that it is a 5sp) a special oil....any oil 90w oil might cause problems w/the brass synchros.  So, make sure that the bottle says brass safe on it.  It take GL4 or GL5.  They are not interchangeable, for a transmission....possibly interchangeable for a rear-end.

Edited by Stinky
  • Like 2

GL-4 only! Never GL-5, that's for the differential. GL-4 will not protect the differential.

8 hours ago, dats720 said:

Hi 

Can anyone give me a checklist of sorts of things to look for/to fix and where to get parts (I can't really find anything online)

I could write a book on things to look for and most would go to waste. It would be better if you just work along asking specific questions. Yes, get a factory service manual FSM on eBay for your year. It's the bible for the 720. Get one compatible with Australian 720s as they used the L series engines and not the Z series I think

Change the lubricating fluids in the transmission and differential.

Change the engine oil AND the filter. Do NOT use fram filters, WIX or NAPA Gold are still good. (I see you're in Oz so get the best you can) Today's oils are phasing out the zinc anti scuff additive ZDDP so it's easier to just switch to a diesel oil like Shell Rotella T4 or similar. 10w30 or 14w40

• Like 3
13 hours ago, dats720 said:

Hi 

Fix only what is broke!  Other wise you just might go down the rabbit hole.

• Like 1
On 7/24/2021 at 2:37 PM, Stinky said:

rockauto.com is my go to place for mail order.  Sometimes, they are not much cheaper than my local Autozone, Oreilly or Napa.  There is also a 5% discount code for RA.

Your 720 is pretty generic, and easy to work on.  If you can find a Field Service Manual on ebay, get it.  If not get a Haynes or Chilton.  One of those is no longer made. 

You question is also generic.  One step at a time.  If you don't know the history, start by changing all of the fluids.  Your manual will tell you how.  Then, sparklpugs, maybe wires, cap and etc....fuel filter.

Once you get that stuff done, you'll have learned a bunch.

Look at youtube for videos.  Keep in mind, that those guys can be pretty redneck in their methods....and I don't mean McGyver methods...crude.  Look at more than one video.

You trans takes (assuming that it is a 5sp) a special oil....any oil 90w oil might cause problems w/the brass synchros.  So, make sure that the bottle says brass safe on it.  It take GL4 or GL5.  They are not interchangeable, for a transmission....possibly interchangeable for a rear-end.

Stinky, I just noticed that you're in Whitewater. I'm in GJ. Just found out about these trucks yesterday, and picked up an '86 4x4. Maybe we can grab a beer or coffee sometime. Cheers!

• Like 1