Duncan's (sort of) project - 1940 Ford

Starting another 521 seat.

Interesting thing about this is the guy I got the seat from has a 510 with an LS6 motor in it!  I'm not sure if it drives yet, but he was telling me just got it started, and it is in the car all mounted in there.   The LS6 is 400hp and the torque is around 385.  I can't imagine that in a unibody Datsun, but I do like silly, crazy swaps like that.

I should have grabbed a photo, but it was hotter than hell where we were, and we both were in a rush to get our deal done and leave..

image.jpeg.77d78db053e8e3c82ccefa0e834251a6.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Trying to get this all wrapped up.  Having problems with the power steering system.  It's down to stupid stuff like wrong fittings, etc, etc.  We also had to redo the belt system to accomodate the newer pump.  It's going to be okay, but it's down to the stupid things that need to be worked out.

We also had to redo the steering system and u-joints for the new column.  Everything looks good there, but were getting the ps system up first, and working toward the dash as we go.

And, TBH, I'm not thrilled with the shifter.  The detents for P R D, etc don't feel right, and the mechanism itself doesn't operate as nice as one would hope.  Hooking it to the trans hasn't happened yet, but I've almost certainly going to keep the column, but remove the shifter from it and go with a Lokar floor shifter.  I'm trying to keep an open mind, but it's tough.  I'm going to drive it for a few weeks before I decide, but it's going to be hard to change my mind about the floor shifter..  we'll see.

image.jpeg.ff9c8a605b2b8e2ea33ac97b20005453.jpeg

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 3

Do you still have the pattern from the first 521 seat or are you confident enough to make your own based on the frame as it is?

On the column looks more authentic but I like the feel of a floor shifter.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Rustbin said:

Do you still have the pattern from the first 521 seat or are you confident enough to make your own based on the frame as it is?

I don't keep them based on the fact that I have to replace the foam entirely.  Even though they are generally the same, I can't really duplicate the foam exactly from seat to seat.  

I actually don't mind making new patterns because I need the practice, and they (usually) get better as I go.  I'm not in any time crunch to get it done, so there's no pressure to hurry.     It's also nice because it keeps me busy.  'cause retired:)

I'm giving the column shifter a chance, but I'm almost certain it's going to be short lived..

Edited by Duncan
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Well, I got tired of working on seats for a bit.  I decided the interior of my Ford was just too damn dark, and decided to redo it in a two-tone ivory and burgundy.  The light color looked great at the supply store, and even looked great just putting the two together.  

Decided to start off in the trunk, and now that I see it in the car, I'm thinking it might be too white.  I was looking for something like 55-57 Chevy India Ivory.  

I'm thinking I might leave it all Burgundy, and go with an Ivory-ish headliner. That light upper color kind of clashes with the light tan body color.

image.jpeg.67b23dd26a9f3b55f50129a55fc15e38.jpeg

As always, my phone washes out the colors and makes them appear brighter than they are. 

On top of it all, I worked my little compressor too hard and burned the little darlin' out.  I buried it yesterday, and now I need to figure something to replace it.  damn.

Edited by Duncan
On 6/28/2024 at 12:57 PM, Duncan said:

My wife has yet another new entryway seat.  She is chuffed at it's bespoke details.

image.jpeg.d10407aba1962533d30729372570e813.jpeg

All caught up.
This seat looks familiar, like it was in the back of my truck coming home from powerland lol.

Very nice work. B)

• Like 2

Ha, it looks like the seat currently sitting in my kitchen too.  I have some work to do on the truck before I can install it but I appreciate everyone's help (Mark, Ray and Steve) in bringing me this beautiful seat. 

• Like 1

That seat has gone Interstate :)

I asked my wife to come out and look at my trunk panel, and she immediately agreed with me that it was too white.  The car is (sort of) eggnog color, and needs something lighter.  Too bad because it really looked nice until I installed it into the car. 

The week after next, the Ford is off to my friend's shop in San Diego for all new front suspension bits.  It has a Heidts IFS with tubular control arms, so we're hoping it might be easier than a factory front end.  I'm cautiously optimistic..

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

@Rustbin, I remembered your tip on trimming the welt ends and what a difference.  Just wanted to say thanks, and feel free to jump in with any advice.  It really helps!

If I had any thought ten years ago that I would be sharing sewing tips on a car forum, I would have had myself declared mentally unbalanced.   :)

image.jpeg.8e163bde0e3896f2b27353b981edb193.jpeg

image.jpeg.dbcabf06a3ab7ff81e0504a6d9304371.jpeg

I also went back and did a quick re-sew of that outer corner, and the welt threads are now invisible.

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1