Duncan's (sort of) project - 1940 Ford

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, EDM620 said:

What impedence does the float work through? I recall there are different ranges on the senders

I *think* 0-70-ish.  Not sure if I remember that correctly or not.  And yes, every manufacturer seems to have a different impedance range, for sure. 

The original OEM senders worked in the range of the repros, but somehow had some other sensor involved.  I am on a hot rod board similar to Ratsun, and they all told the same story as mine.  The bottom of the gauge is accurate, and when the tank is full, the needle shows about 3/4 full.

The gauges are still working on 6 volts, and they are very slow to get to their actual reading levels.  I don't mind that, and they are just working normally as they did way back in 1940.  I've quickly gotten used to the fuel range indicator, and it's not been a problem either.   Luckily, it's accurate when it gets down to empty.

My repro sender was about $35, and an original is very hard to come by, and they are expensive.   I love the original gauges, and the art deco styling is much cooler than the aftermarket ones in it before. To me, it's no problem, and I love having the originals in there. 

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1
  • Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, Duncan said:

the art deco styling is much cooler

So true!

I found a chart that shows what some of the sender specs can be

6e15a184826e269e35fa801e49ee4337.png

So not just a variation in the Ohm scale, but widely and in reverse as well.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, EDM620 said:

So true!

I found a chart that shows what some of the sender specs can be

6e15a184826e269e35fa801e49ee4337.png

So not just a variation in the Ohm scale, but widely and in reverse as well.

FWIW, I checked my '67 Mustang sender and it reads around 140-20. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, datsunfreak said:

FWIW, I checked my '67 Mustang sender and it reads around 140-20. 

The last couple of project cars I've had, I had to get the senders either replaced or repaired.  I just can't remember the details.  I'm entering the Joe Biden phase when it comes to remembering impedance. 🙂

I actually just checked and from '36-'54 Ford used the exact same sender, but the float and arm changed for different models.  Apparently, these were made by just one manufacturer.  In '54 Ford went to using 12 volt systems, and apparently the senders went to a more standardized way of doing things along with Chevy and Mopar.  Of course, I read this on the internet, so it's just HAS to be true. 

Edited by Duncan
57 minutes ago, Duncan said:

In '54 Ford went to using 12 volt systems, and apparently the senders went to a more standardized way of doing things along with Chevy and Mopar.  

It would seem since this is a variable ground that voltage wouldn't matter?

But I am also not a professional tamer of electrons.  😁

On 4/12/2024 at 1:10 PM, datsunfreak said:

It would seem since this is a variable ground that voltage wouldn't matter?

But I am also not a professional tamer of electrons.  😁

Thinking about it, I would guess that the gauge lighting would need to be different.  And somewhere else, I remember somebody saying that Ford ran gauges at 6 volts up until the late 70's.  They used a voltage drop somewhere in the electrical system for the gauges.  (I would think that also include the dash itself, but I can't verify crap..) 

Al I know is that the stock gauges are cool, and I'm living in perfect coexistence with the way they are now 🙂

• Haha 1