Duncan's (sort of) project - 1940 Ford

Well, ya never know 'til you try..

trnkfail.JPG.69bacff4892f8a547030b62812364708.JPG

I did like the overall look of the black with the piping, but on an 1/8" thick panel, there is too much of a seam on the backside to lay flat, so there's a pretty good ridge on the top and bottom of the piping. Oh well.  I'm out 20 bucks and a few hours of labor. The old panel can go right back in tomorrow.  Too fucking hot right now to do much else...

• Like 2
  • Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/3/2022 at 3:00 PM, Duncan said:

I did like the overall look of the black with the piping, but on an 1/8" thick panel, there is too much of a seam on the backside to lay flat, so there's a pretty good ridge on the top and bottom of the piping. Oh well. 

A layer of thin foam, with a strategic cutout for the seam, might sort that out? 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

A layer of thin foam, with a strategic cutout for the seam, might sort that out? 

Was thinking about that.  I have seen that done and I may play around with that for a bit.  I'm just afraid that with more foam, but pleats will be deeper and may look too poofy.  I'm not a big fan of that look, but it only costs a few sheckles to try that out.

BTW, saw the Dajiban test drive video.  👍  The van is looking good, too!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's the repro clock parts I have to spruce up my old clock.

clkface.JPG.89390d78c6e7f7f6900f2386b99dceab.JPG

There are actually two manufacturers of clocks for the '40 Ford.  I have the Westclock version, and the other is a New Haven version.  The company that makes all the clock repro parts discontinued the faceplate for the clock I have. 🤥  They still offer it for the other one, of course.  I'm about 99% sure I can make this work, but why make one and not the other.  Really?!?! 

I've got some Ivory colored model paint for the clock hands, and the manufacturer says it can be thinned with water and can be airbrushed on.  Thanks to the internet, I also found out that there is a small tool that is used to remove clock hands.  The clock hands are pretty fragile and easily bent, so that is on it's way.  It works exactly like a tiny gear puller.  Seems to make sense..

Datsunfreak and I were ribbing each other a bit in his Galaxy build thread about obsessing over little details, but considering how many hours of time I have in this, I think I have him beat...

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
40 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The clock in the 710 never worked nor any I found so I set it to 4:20. Later I put my a/f gauge in the hole for it.

It actually has a clock in it now that works, but it's a newer aftermarket clock with a billet bezel that matches the radio and dash bezel.  I really was never a fan of the billet stuff when it was popular, and I really don't like it now.. I've mentioned it before, but all that stuff in my car is bolted in, so now it's just acquiring the right pieces to put it back to (mostly) original.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow! This took way more time and effort than I ever imagined.  Damn thing fought me ever step of the way.  I won't go into detail because it's too boring, but I like how it turned out.  The rear mount that goes inside the glove box has a fresh coat of paint that is drying, and I hope to get it installed tomorrow, or maybe Saturday.

40clk.JPG.d432c66d715ba69de7ae38ada7b4aa63.JPG

Next up is pulling out the radio and putting in an original radio delete panel.  I'm going with my cell phone and a bluetooth speaker when I want to listen to the radio..

• Like 3
2 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Well...   😁

Here ya go...

Yesterday:

b4.JPG.3b1fe997c37ea294dfc49a8555ea80c8.JPG

Today:

after.JPG.d7e7d79977e3a308563f19d96c2e5188.JPG

I looked into a local Vintage Ford Parts supplier, and they have a repro socket and bulb with the wiring pigtail for the clock.  If they have it in stock, I'll pick that up Monday.  I also retained the 12 volt switched feed wire from the light switch, so it'll light up when the headlights are on. 

I just realized I hadn't come up with a clever time designation yet.  Probably won't because I don't want to cover up the numbers 12 or 6. 

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1

Set if for 7:40 (19:40) and see if anyone non-military figures it out.

Those hands would be pretty close together too though.

OK, just read some earlier posts and saw my comment is a rerun from September 2nd.  I didn't steal it, because I hadn't seen it, but still not original.  😁

Edited by iceman510
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to yanking out my radio and that billet bezel that was in the dash.  I installed the original, 82 year old delete plate and I have to say time has not been good to it.  The fit is a bit iffy, and it has a slight gap around the edges.  There are bendable small metal tabs that hold it in, and they weren't in the best of shape.

There is a company that sells real nice repros of these, but (of course) they are made in China.  They look great, but stuff from China is actually hard to get these days.  This will work in the meantime.

I'm replacing the radio with my phone and a small bluetooth speaker.  I've heard a couple of those speakers that sound amazingly good.   

raddel.JPG.3b793d293911b7221b592ea3dd64f28a.JPG

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, iceman510 said:

I do so love Art-deco influenced designs.

I do too.  Not only cars, but trains, airplanes, and some buildings were really great during that era, as well...

I yanked the radio/cassette unit, and I got a JBL bluetooth speaker.  I use the XM radio app on my phone, and the current setup is WAY better sounding than the old.  Added benefit is no commercials. 

Edited by Duncan
  • 3 months later...

Well, hell. 

Had some surgery (again) and have been recovering here at home for a couple weeks.    Other than a trip to the Doc's, I've been here and getting cabin fever something fierce.

Anyway, the wife had some stuff to do, so I snuck the Coupe out, and did a quickie 10-ish mile drive down Pacific Coast Highway and back.  It was REALLY nice to get out.

I've been doing a LOT of searching for items to replace the rest of the billet stuff on the dash.  I have a line on a stock gauge cluster that has been updated to work with the new electrical system, and I also found a repop '40 steering wheel with the splines for a GM steering column.  (My column in the car is a GM-style)

Anyway, gratuitous photo ahead.  Just Cuz...

ford.JPG

Also, I got no dog in the hunt, but Happy Supebowl to you sports fans!!

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 2

And I just scored the restored gauge cluster AND another dash clock that is restored and supposedly working as well. I paid about $150 less than what they generally go for, and the clock was thrown in as a freebie.   It also has the senders, speedo cable, it's wired with a harness, and has instructions.  I'll put photos of the actual cluster when it gets here.  Here's exactly what it looks like, though..

I'm quite chuffed currently. 🙂

dlxgauges.jpg

It's probably going to be a nightmare to install...:(

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 3