Low pressure power steering hose leak

bottomwatcher

Well I tracked my power steering fluid leak to a low pressure hard line failure below the radiator. So it looks like both the high and low pressure lines are the same part? Looks like $45 on rock auto and $54 on ebay free shipping so about the same price. May as well change both at the same time. Just looking for confirmation that it is one part for both before ordering. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a return line to the reservoir, no real pressure unless the hose has a restriction. Any hose would do that is petroleum resistant and not easily kinked. $45 is a bit steep for just this. A garden hose and two clamps would even work temporarily.

The pressure side is crimped onto the hard line to the steering box. No way to change just the hose.

Pretty sure the return is slightly larger diameter than the pressure side and the return also just pushes onto and clamps onto the reservoir inlet while the pressure side bolts onto the pump, so I would say they are not identical.  Nissan sells as a set at over $400

• Like 1

Electric Steering.  I have stripped all the power steering parts of of my 86 2wd king cab and will be doing the same to my 84 2wd king cab ST soon. 

I picked up a 2009 Nissan versa electric steering unit that my brother and I will adapt into the 720s. 

I have a 1980 720 2wd chassis under my 66 520 that will get the same treatment. 

No more power steering leaks for me.

Looking forward to seeing the conversion Charlie. I measured both lines are the identical diameter, Banjo ends look the same. I already have one end hose clamped to a different reservoir because this has a KAe conversion. I know I can just use some hose but I hate doing hacks unless on the side of the road. I always want the truck in the condition that I wouldn't want to be afraid to drive it across the country. I was just looking for some confirmation on the part.

• Like 1

They very well could be the same size. I thought the inner diameters were different.

They can't be the exact same hose. I think the pressure hose is crimped on and the return is just clamped at each end. Nissan only sells both as a set for $350. 

If Nissan is $350 how can Rock Auto sell for $45? This includes the hard lines as well? I would just replace the low pressure one. Replacing the $350 ones with $45 ones doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

This is part of the reason I am going to electric assist steering, the aftermarket hoses do not fit well.  If the is a hose shop near you then take your old hoses to them and see if they can make you up a set.

Edited by Charlie69

Well I replaced the low pressure line with 4ft of hose and we are back on the road. They are identical on the steering box side except for minor bends. I cut the low pressure end off years ago so I dont remember what it looks like. Looking up the part it only shows one hose doesnt specify high or low pressure. I will order a set but I may be shipping out before I can install so it may be a while but I will eventually report back.  

• Like 1

$45 is not a lot for a pre-made hose. A custom hose will probably cost more than that, and then it will have weird looking "commercially available" hose ends that may not look right as compared to the stock replacement hoses.

I agree with Mike, I thought the two hoses had different size hardware. Usually the high pressure hose has a smaller diameter fitting than the return.

• Like 1